Animal hospital

Status
Not open for further replies.

m sleem

If i'm doing the design for an animal hospital, what codes would help me? i looked at NEC 547 & OSHA but not very helpful.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
If i'm doing the design for an animal hospital, what codes would help me? i looked at NEC 547 & OSHA but not very helpful.
In my opinion article 517 should apply,your building code may point you in that direction as well.

Around here when someone takes their dog to an animal hospital , they should be able to expect that they will be just as safe as a hospital for people.

jumper

In my opinion article 517 should apply,your building code may point you in that direction as well.

Around here when someone takes their dog to an animal hospital , they should be able to expect that they will be just as safe as a hospital for people.

While I would like to agree, alas, it isn't so. Our furry friends are not protected as well.

I. General
517.1 Scope. The provisions of this article shall apply to
electrical construction and installation criteria in health care
facilities that provide services to human beings.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
While I would like to agree, alas, it isn't so. Our furry friends are not protected as well.

I. General
517.1 Scope. The provisions of this article shall apply to
electrical construction and installation criteria in health care
facilities that provide services to human beings.

That's why I said "in my opinion":D

But,just the same it is an interesting topic.

let say a dog was electrocuted while in an animal hospital that only used wiring methods from chapter 1-4 , A good lawyer could convince a jury that the wiring methods in 517 were available and could have been used.

Strictly a hypothetical of course .:)

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

let say a dog was electrocuted while in an animal hospital that only used wiring methods from chapter 1-4 , A good lawyer could convince a jury that the wiring methods in 517 were available and could have been used.

517 methods are also "available and could have been used" in every single house in the USA. Does that mean we should? Or does it mean the electricians are liable for anyone who gets shocked.

You need more than just "available and could have been used". Otherwise, we risk just throwing money at non-existant problems.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

since the only recourse would likely be the value of the dog, what lawyer would take such a case?

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
since the only recourse would likely be the value of the dog, what lawyer would take such a case?

The trauma of a persons loss of their dog has a lot more value then the dog purchase price, I would imagine a lawyer could come up with a huge sum, then settle for a lesser amount.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
The trauma of a persons loss of their dog has a lot more value then the dog purchase price, I would imagine a lawyer could come up with a huge sum, then settle for a lesser amount.

he can ask but there are not all that many cases where what is asked for in such cases is actually granted.

that is why we all have insurance. let the insurance company duke it out with the lawyer.

dogs are nice to have around but they are not humans and thus there is no requirement to design a dog hospital like a human hospital. in any case, the minimum requirements of the NEC while not perfect protection from law suits provide a pretty good defense that one is following acceptable practices.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
he can ask but there are not all that many cases where what is asked for in such cases is actually granted.

that is why we all have insurance. let the insurance company duke it out with the lawyer.

dogs are nice to have around but they are not humans and thus there is no requirement to design a dog hospital like a human hospital. in any case, the minimum requirements of the NEC while not perfect protection from law suits provide a pretty good defense that one is following acceptable practices.
I agree.

Barbqranch

Occupation
Plant maintenance electrician Semi-retired
Also, they don't have the same hazards as a human hospital. Not too many dogs will bring in a hair dryer, walkman, etc. Although a setter might bring in a bark-o-lounger.

• :lol:

renosteinke

What on earth do codes have to do with design? All codes do is promise some protection against extraordinarily bad design!

So, what to do? How ab out you visit a few existing animal hospitals, and chat with the operators? While you're at it, ask who did their place. Ask them about their 'trade press,' and any articles of note. Visit a veterinary college and ask the staff. Visit Animal Control and poke about.

Of particular interest is the use of explosive anesthetic gasses. That's why the NEC got into the whole 'health care location' business. No chloroform, no problem.

Pay particular attention to corrosion issues. Those places are cleaned with lye, then sanitized with bleach, followed by a rinse, then ammonia.

Status
Not open for further replies.