cord with male connector on both ends

Status
Not open for further replies.

lfloyd

A cord with a male connector on each end is clearly a safety concern but what code section would clearly prohibit this?

iwire

Staff member
A cord with a male connector on each end is clearly a safety concern but what code section would clearly prohibit this?

In my opinion 406.6(B) but I keep being told the NEC does not apply to cords because cords are not installed.

I do not agree with that. :)

406.6(B) Connection of Attachment Plugs. Attachment plugs
shall be installed so that their prongs, blades, or pins are not
energized unless inserted into an energized receptacle or
cord connectors. No receptacle shall be installed so as to
require the insertion of an energized attachment plug as its
source of supply.

fmtjfw

Suicide cords?

Suicide cords?

406.7 Attachment Plugs, Cord Connectors, and Flanged
Surface Devices.
All attachment plugs, cord connectors, and
flanged surface devices (inlets and outlets) shall be listed and
marked with the manufacturer?s name or identification and
voltage and ampere ratings.
(A) Construction of Attachment Plugs and Cord Connectors.
Attachment plugs and cord connectors shall be constructed
so that there are no exposed current-carrying parts
except the prongs, blades, or pins. The cover for wire terminations
shall be a part that is essential for the operation of an
attachment plug or connector (dead-front construction).
(B) Connection of Attachment Plugs. Attachment plugs
shall be installed so that their prongs, blades, or pins are not
energized unless inserted into an energized receptacle or
cord connectors. No receptacle shall be installed so as to
require the insertion of an energized attachment plug as its
source of supply.

(C) Attachment Plug Ejector Mechanisms. Attachment
plug ejector mechanisms shall not adversely affect engagement
of the blades of the attachment plug with the contacts
of the receptacle.
(D) Flanged Surface Inlet. A flanged surface inlet shall be
installed such that the prongs, blades, or pins are not energized
unless an energized cord connector is inserted into it.

iwire

Staff member
So the suicide cord I have in my garage because I didn't want the owner to take it with his generator (and actually use it) is somehow contraband?

It is clearly, IMO, an NEC violation.

I will be sending the SWAT team over shortly to run the garage down with a tank and take possession of that dangerous weapon.

JDBrown

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
So the suicide cord I have in my garage because I didn't want the owner to take it with his generator (and actually use it) is somehow contraband?
Only if you install it. ;)

When you hear the sirens, just cut it in half really quick. Then instead of being a suicide cord, it's two power cords you haven't gotten around to attaching to appliances yet. :D

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Being a UT (Texas) alumnus I refer to these as "Aggie extension cords". :D

fmtjfw

Suicide cords

Suicide cords

I had a fellow "electrician" make some to feed tables in a computer lab in a junior high. I managed to voice my displeasure without resorting to profanity, but it was a struggle. He told me "I don't think the students would ever unplug them".

kwired

Electron manager
I had a fellow "electrician" make some to feed tables in a computer lab in a junior high. I managed to voice my displeasure without resorting to profanity, but it was a struggle. He told me "I don't think the students would ever unplug them".
He must not have done much work in schools. Wiring in schools is like wiring in a hog barn, anything in reach of the occupant will be tampered with, so if they are not supposed to tamper with it it better at least be out of easy reach, but even then they will see it as a challenge to get to it.

I had a school that had wall fixtures in a bathroom near the sinks, with missing lamp covers. They all had 200 watt lamps in them, why that high of wattage IDK, I was asked to come up with replacements that would be fairly tamper resistant. Turns out some of the boys had figured out those 200 watt bulbs made a near perfect seal for the outlet in the toilets and liked to put them in the toilets and then flush and leave the room:eek:hmy:

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I had a school that had wall fixtures in a bathroom near the sinks, with missing lamp covers. They all had 200 watt lamps in them, why that high of wattage IDK, I was asked to come up with replacements that would be fairly tamper resistant. Turns out some of the boys had figured out those 200 watt bulbs made a near perfect seal for the outlet in the toilets and liked to put them in the toilets and then flush and leave the room:eek:hmy:
Better that than cherry bombs... :D

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
It is clearly, IMO, an NEC violation.

I will be sending the SWAT team over shortly to run the garage down with a tank and take possession of that dangerous weapon.

We don't have tanks. Just two APCs. A black one and a green one. The black one is cool. I don't know if the green one even runs.

They might have a tank next door, in Newaygo County, or maybe Kent County because Grand Rapids is there.

Besides, all it would take is a cruiser and a deputy with a can of lock de-icer. If the deputy would thaw out the lock on the garage door for me I would just give him the cord in order to express my gratitude.

iwire

Staff member
Besides, all it would take is a cruiser and a deputy with a can of lock de-icer. If the deputy would thaw out the lock on the garage door for me I would just give him the cord in order to express my gratitude.

You have no sense of showmanship, your way will not make the news. :D

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
You have no sense of showmanship, your way will not make the news. :D

You don't think a deputy sheriff de-icing a garage door in order to confiscate a known hazard with an intimidating name like a suicide cord would be newsworthy?

I mean we're talking nitrile gloves, a cut to a copy of the MSDS of the de-icer, a shot of the deputy bent over in a compromising position, safety glasses and possible slippage on ice. Slippage on ice can put a person in the hospital.

Stuff like that is big news here.

fmtjfw

He must not have done much work in schools. Wiring in schools is like wiring in a hog barn, anything in reach of the occupant will be tampered with, so if they are not supposed to tamper with it it better at least be out of easy reach, but even then they will see it as a challenge to get to it.

No he was just an idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.