Electrical Road Work and where to look

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddy Current

This probably isnt the right section, but does anybody know a good place to look for road work. Is there certain words to put into a job board search or what? Just wondering how people get these road work jobs.

kwired

Electron manager
This probably isnt the right section, but does anybody know a good place to look for road work. Is there certain words to put into a job board search or what? Just wondering how people get these road work jobs.

First you need to clarify if you want to travel for work, or if you actually want to work on roads:)

mgookin

I thought you meant highway construction as well.

I know some guys who do power plants for GE. They travel. That might be a place to look. You can check with unions. And any big job like a stadium, highrise, etc. should have plenty of work which often requires bringing in people from outside the local region. Find out who does the EC for big projects by gorilla companies like Bovis, Lend-lease, Bechtel, etc. Those companies do power plants, airports, etc.

kwired

Electron manager
I thought you meant highway construction as well.

I know some guys who do power plants for GE. They travel. That might be a place to look. You can check with unions. And any big job like a stadium, highrise, etc. should have plenty of work which often requires bringing in people from outside the local region. Find out who does the EC for big projects by gorilla companies like Bovis, Lend-lease, Bechtel, etc. Those companies do power plants, airports, etc.

Also check into companies that build wind farms.

John120/240

I worked locally on a one million sq ft warehouse for this firm from Kentucky://www.amteck.com/ They employed eight of us locals & brought in 25 from their home location. Then they would hire roadies who would travel around working for different contractors where ever the work was. We probably had six roadies.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Oh, i didn't think of that, thanks.

not to be discouraging, but what you are looking for may not be
available easily to you.

most electricians who hit the road looking for work are part of
organized labor, and they have dispatch systems designed to
allow for influx of out of area people seeking work. the slang
word for it is called "booming", and without that infrastructure
to work within, you are someone looking for work anywhere they
can find it.

and "booming" isn't what it used to be. there aren't very many
places that have a construction boom going on these days.

and, where there are large projects, they are usually union, so
without that affiliation, those aren't open to you.

i've a pretty good friend who is project manager for flatiron,
on the tar sands in alberta... i'll drop him a call and see if
there is any open shops participating in that... can't hurt to
ask...

edit: i looked at your profile, you listed you are a helper,
attending school.... if you aren't a journeyman wireman,
your best bet is to find someone near you to work for......

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
not to be discouraging, but what you are looking for may not be
available easily to you.

But at same time different areas of the trade have different needs. The wind farms I mentioned - there is currently not far from me under construction right now. A guy that used to work for me went to work for a company building a substation related to that project. They pay very well. I would be tempted to give up what I am doing now work for them, but when this nearby project is done I am not all that willing to travel though. If I were single with no kids, maybe that would change my decision on that.

Eddy Current

Coincidentally one of the jobs i found when i put in traveling electrical apprentice is of a company called Interstates. Anybody ever heard of them? Im not certain if it is a traveling job though it says
"TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS: For full time company employees, ability to travel to jobsites with +/- 75 miles from office is expected." that doesnt really sound like a job that would travel around to different states to me.

http://interstates.hrmdirect.com/employment/job-opening.php?req=98896&&#job

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
Coincidentally one of the jobs i found when i put in traveling electrical apprentice is of a company called Interstates. Anybody ever heard of them? Im not certain if it is a traveling job though it says
"TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS: For full time company employees, ability to travel to jobsites with +/- 75 miles from office is expected." that doesnt really sound like a job that would travel around to different states to me.

http://interstates.hrmdirect.com/employment/job-opening.php?req=98896&&#job

Maybe different states if office is in RI.:D

Or in a city right on a state border.

Probably not happening if office is in central regions of most states though.

Davebones

Try google Electrical Outage and Shutdown work . Used to do a lot of that when I was younger . A lot of companys looking for Craft people to travel . Once you get on one of these jobs you'll start hearing from people about work going on elsewhere and work that is comming up . A lot of people have little travel trilers and just travel this way . Miss doing this but the next big goal in my life is retiring ...

kwired

Electron manager
One thing about travel - especially to other states is you will need to acquire/maintain licensing for the places you work. There are similarities in many places, there are reciprocating licenses and CEU's in many places, but you need to learn about each place you do work as there are differences. Of course not all places use the same edition of NEC or have local amendments, or even their own code, usually at least based on NEC.

Eddy Current

Try google Electrical Outage and Shutdown work . Used to do a lot of that when I was younger . A lot of companys looking for Craft people to travel . Once you get on one of these jobs you'll start hearing from people about work going on elsewhere and work that is comming up . A lot of people have little travel trilers and just travel this way . Miss doing this but the next big goal in my life is retiring ...

Thanks for that, i found a site that kind of looks like a staffing company specifically for road work. Does anybody know anything about this site?

http://www.ptstravelers.com/Construction-Traveling-Jobs

Eddy Current

One thing about travel - especially to other states is you will need to acquire/maintain licensing for the places you work. There are similarities in many places, there are reciprocating licenses and CEU's in many places, but you need to learn about each place you do work as there are differences. Of course not all places use the same edition of NEC or have local amendments, or even their own code, usually at least based on NEC.

An apprentice wouldn't be covered under the companies license?

Davebones

If the company is non-union you can just apply for a job as helper or Journeyman . The large jobs they will want to see any school or experience you have . If you are willing to work they will hire you if they need the manpower . I know the shutdowns I used to work you didn't have to have a state license to get hired with a large outfit . Wish the majority of the work was union but thats not the case there's a lot of large non-union firms doing shutdowns and outages . Can work on conduit , terminating , wire pulling , start-up ,warehousing crews etc... I always prefered terminating and start-up .Good experience for a young person starting out looking to get into industrial work . You re willing to work they'll offer you work elsewhere when the job is finished .

kwired

Electron manager
An apprentice wouldn't be covered under the companies license?
I can't speak for other states, but know many are similar to here. Here the apprentice is not a license holder of any kind, but must still be registered. It is the responsibility of the individual to register and renew his registration when it expires. If an employer wants to help with that process that is fine, but the registration is for the individual and not for a company. Should that individual decide to work for someone else his registration is not tied to any particular employer and is valid until it's own expiration date, which happens to be on the same two year cycle as the license holders expiration dates.

If you are a registered apprentice in another state, you still must register and pay the fee to work in this state. Again the employer can help out, but it is the individual that is registered and not a company.

Status
Not open for further replies.