Klein Quality

Status
Not open for further replies.

LLSolutions

Is it me or is the quality going down. One of the guys I work with complained about a pair of dikes he bought from the orange store. The teeth seems to be missalianged. I always remember them meeting at a point from each blade and the tip came to a decent point. Firsthand thought was that they must run a second rate line at the box stores to remain competitive. I just bought the same pair from a electrical supply and same this, the cutting surface isn't aligned and looks like the very top was ground off.

kwired

Electron manager
Are they genuine Klein tools? Don't know if there are any similar knockoffs in this product area or not.

The same thing from the supply house is a bit more puzzling though. From a big box store I could easily see someone return a similar product in the wrong packaging and it can be put back on the shelf, and it does happen.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Are they genuine Klein tools? Don't know if there are any similar knockoffs in this product area or not.

The same thing from the supply house is a bit more puzzling though. From a big box store I could easily see someone return a similar product in the wrong packaging and it can be put back on the shelf, and it does happen.

They had the proper logo.

They just would get so dull they wouldn't cut small dia. wire and would do so after not many cuts.

templdl

I would be suprized if Klein would cheapen their tools as they are to the electrician as rigid tools are to the plumber.
I know that Milwaukee tool has lost a good part of the electric tool market where they used to be basically an indistructable to of the line power tools.

kwired

Electron manager
I know that Milwaukee tool has lost a good part of the electric tool market where they used to be basically an indistructable to of the line power tools.

Have they? Their M12 and M18 cordless tools seem to be pretty popular lately, and they even have some specialty tools for specific trades that fall in one of those two product lines.

LLSolutions

I'd be irritated but at least could understand if they sold a lesser version at depot, but same price and still junk at the supply house is unacceptable. I don't know if it's just the popular stuff they cheapen- this was the normal dikes with the journeyman grip. I buy the $55 linesmen with the crimp and snake puller "not available at depot" but at least I get to use them for years. As for the m-18 stuff, over 2 years and I'm still happy with it- my previous was a dewalt that I got 7 out of the tools and 2 rounds of batteries

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I would be suprized if Klein would cheapen their tools as they are to the electrician as rigid tools are to the plumber.

years ago I worked on a machine to make klein wire strippers for sale thru the big box stores. I met the designer. he was very clear that it was a lower quality product versus their regular wire strippers.

dhalleron

Being part time, I don't need to replace my tools as often as I used to.

I haven't noticed anything wrong with the side cutters and dikes I have.

I did lose my 25 year old small allen wrench set, I bought a replacement. My old Klein set had a metal folding case. The new Klein one was plastic.

I was glad when I found my old set again.

kwired

Electron manager
years ago I worked on a machine to make klein wire strippers for sale thru the big box stores. I met the designer. he was very clear that it was a lower quality product versus their regular wire strippers.
That does happen. Big box stores tell manufacturers what they want to sell something for, and they modify the product/formula/etc. to come up with something that can be sold at that price. Good example is paint. Same brand as a nationally recognized brand may be sold at big box store but at lower prices. Go buy a same brand regular line product elsewhere and a big box version and weigh them. The big box version (if the less cost version anyway) will weigh less because it has a watered down formula. Big box store may even have the regular line product, but it sells for more and is not in as big of supply because the cheaper version moves through stock much faster.

The cheap product should have a different model number if it is not the same thing as the regular product though.

StarCat

Industrial Engineering Tech
Occupation
Imdustrial Engineering Technician - HVACR Electrical and Mechanical Systems
The Evaporation of America

The Evaporation of America

Quality IS going down across the board because of the " criminal " monetary system we are living under and because " everything " has been monetized.
A very lengthy list could be made to describe the total insanity that most people accept as somehow normal, but most people don't have enough guts, motivation or raw intelligence to stand up about it and say something.
When I have confronted outfits such as Fluke about their sorry decline it has in many cases gotten me nowhere as these institutions are not intelligent enough to respond to such matters. Every person you may talk to has very narrow limits that their thinking, speaking, and responding run in which are all a pre-programmed part of the system. Real excellence in any " Field " is truly rare anymore.

kwired

Electron manager
Quality IS going down across the board because of the " criminal " monetary system we are living under and because " everything " has been monetized.
A very lengthy list could be made to describe the total insanity that most people accept as somehow normal, but most people don't have enough guts, motivation or raw intelligence to stand up about it and say something.
When I have confronted outfits such as Fluke about their sorry decline it has in many cases gotten me nowhere as these institutions are not intelligent enough to respond to such matters. Every person you may talk to has very narrow limits that their thinking, speaking, and responding run in which are all a pre-programmed part of the system. Real excellence in any " Field " is truly rare anymore.

Customer service department and product design teams are not that closely related to each other. The reason things are not built like they used to be is to be able to sell at competitive pricing. Thinner metals, plastics replacing metals, a lesser quality material over a more expensive material, machines doing assembly, or having production moved to other countries where labor cost is less are ways of making something less expensive to manufacture, sometimes the overall quality of finished product takes a hit in the process. Sometimes out of necessity improvements are made though. People also have a tendency to abuse things by trying to use them for things they really were not designed for.

Is it me or is the quality going down. One of the guys I work with complained about a pair of dikes he bought from the orange store. The teeth seems to be missalianged. I always remember them meeting at a point from each blade and the tip came to a decent point. Firsthand thought was that they must run a second rate line at the box stores to remain competitive. I just bought the same pair from a electrical supply and same this, the cutting surface isn't aligned and looks like the very top was ground off.

I havent had any issues with their hand tools but I will say that their meters are junk. Went through several before coming to my senses and going back to the good old ideal solenoid tester.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Klein, Craftsman, Milwaukee... are not in the business of making electronic test equipment. So, i would not expect their test equipment to be worth anything. With the same token Fluke is not in the business of making hand tools.

To the OP, take your tool back and return or exchange it.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

well, i found these tools that work really well... Knipex.

been using the their flavor of channelocks for about 25 years now,
and i'm phasing out the klein stuff.

it isn't made very well anymore. compare their new spin tights to a
set from 30 years back.... well, there isn't much comparison.

and as for the big box difference in quality, that is the case in most everything
the big box stores sell, from what i've seen.

i don't buy stuff at the big box stores if i have an alternative.
life's too short to work with, and install, crap.

growler

Big box store may even have the regular line product, but it sells for more and is not in as big of supply because the cheaper version moves through stock much faster.

This is not a new idea. The famous "Colt" Firearms Manufacturer actually made two different lines of product. One line of high quality weapons for the professional ( law enforcement and military) and a much cheaper product for the guy wanting to shoot cans in the back yard. They made their reputation with high quality products and their money on the cheaper line.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
A very lengthy list could be made to describe the total insanity that most people accept as somehow normal,
but most people don't have enough guts, motivation or raw intelligence to stand up about it and say something.

of course they do. that is why we have internet chat forums.... :rant: ...may the frothing commence. :lol:

what has happened is that as a society, we are all pretty much wanting more, cheaper, faster.
so, we have created business models that provide that, but a price is paid.

everyone want's something for nothing. that is why we have created stock markets that 85% of the
transactions are comprised of high frequency trading, essentially fluffing two eggs into a souffl? large
enough to cover north america.

and the people who are entrusted to safeguard that system, sell colocation with a premium based on
length of fiber optic cable to the NYSE's posting mainframes.... 'cause it's gotten to the point that to
steal money, you have to have a shorter wire than the next thief. we have created the worlds largest
check kiting scam, and called it economics.

so, everyone relax, bemoan the demise of our hand tools. the tools that work too fast to comprehend,
let alone see, are working quite well. we have now the appearance of a complete souffl? large enough
to feed everyone, made with two eggs, and a slight of hand trick.

the subprime debacle of 2008 can't hold a candle to this... and we all get to watch. where is the popcorn?

we now return you to your regularly scheduled rant, which is already in progress.....

LLSolutions

My main gripe is that there's no distinction between lines or there isn't a seconds line. Sell a Klein "b" to those who wish to pay less. I don't make money estimating, driving a truck, or shopping for material. I make money installing, I don't care if they sold a pair for $50 I just want them to work. Labor is still my biggest cost. Fidgeting around with substandard tools costs more than it saves. Just disappointing, I came up in the trade using Klein tools, now the seem to be only slightly better than the store brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.