Emf shielding from cell phone tower

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyreman

Occupation
electrical contractor
I got a call asking if I can provide EMS shielding from the Cellphone tower this nearby

I wouldn't know where to begin

can anybody give me any suggestions

In belief, man can do anything

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
I got a call asking if I can provide EMS shielding from the Cellphone tower this nearby

If you have no idea where to begin I suggest you call in someone who does and sub it out to them. it's like lightning protection. A field of it's own.
try the link below:

http://www.emfservices.com/index.htm

dereckbc

Staff member
What seems to be the problem? Do you even know at this point what frequency band the cell tower is using? 700, 800, 1900, 2100 Mhz?

There is really no way to keep RF from penetrating. You can attenuate but to be effective would require a steel building, and that will not even stop it, just attenuate the signal. Cellular radio is low power on the order of 20 watts per carrier. Never really know of it causing problems unlike commercial broadcast Radio and TV that can run up to 50 Kw.

Last edited:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
My house with foil backed drywall and aluminum siding seemed to do a good job of blocking most of the cell signal...3.5-4 bars outside and lucky to get one bar inside.

I bet you could reduce the signal even more if you bonded all of the foil together...my son accused me of building a house with a Faraday cage so his phone wouldn't work, but I was just looking for a very good vapor barrier for the outside walls and ceiling and cell phones weren't even in use when I built.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
As long as there are no gaps (slots) between the layers of foil, bonding should not be a major issue.
I would worry more about windows and doors. Metal window screens would do a pretty good job but you might need to use metal or metal-faced doors.
If the reason for the shielding is that an occupant is electrosensitive, you may need to use a calibrated signal strength meter tuned to cell phone frequencies rather than or in addition to a meter which is also sensitive to 60Hz and other frequencies.
In addition, a good "bedside manner" may be as important to a good result as your electrical skills.

Tapatalk!

mike_kilroy

Prob the best you can do to prove to your potential customer there is no problem is get the 800 phone no off the tower base and call; they are set up to handle this kind of [typically] nonsense, and they have reports showing how the rf goes down by the 3rd or 4rth power of distance so is basically non existent at the house next door to cause interference.

gar

Occupation
EE
140205-2023 EST

A long time ago when I worked in the radio group of Ford electrical engineering some of my time was in the screen room. It was dead in there from an RF perspective. Unless connected to the outside antenna there were no RF signals inside from the outside.

For some parameters and characteristics see --- http://www.ets-lindgren.com/iSeries-71 . Also do a Google search for --- RF screen rooms .

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Your best friend is distance. There is no real practical or financially economical way to shield yourself from high frequency micro wave radiation. Is it dangerous, IMO there are risks to those who live very close by or are sensitive. However, the only real way to escape it if its a concern to someone is to move away from it.

While you are there you could check for wiring errors that might be casing elevated EMFs, but the cell phone tower is a move requirement if its a major issue.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Prob the best you can do to prove to your potential customer there is no problem is get the 800 phone no off the tower base and call; they are set up to handle this kind of [typically] nonsense, and they have reports showing how the rf goes down by the 3rd or 4rth power of distance so is basically non existent at the house next door to cause interference.

And when someone does get ill or feels tired all time the its just part of life of genetics:lol: Never is the environment considered but always those pesky genetics.

Its nonsense to shut down circuits when only dealing with 120 volts, and why should you? Ive been hit many times with 120 and walked away from it no issues. All those people who kill 120 volt circuits are crazy. Its a waste of time and an inconvenience. :p

kwired

Electron manager

What are you shielding? Seems like there is a variety of suggestions of what you are shielding but you never mentioned what this EMF may be effecting that may need the shielding.

You could put a huge metal sleeve over the tower, but that likely doesn't make the cell service users or the provider very happy:cool:

rlundsrud

really?

really?

Given the distance that the tower transmitter is relative even to a point directly below it, I suspect that the homeowner gets a larger dose when he uses his own cell phone. That aside, a Faraday cage would be the only solution. And you can let them know that MIT actually researched using aluminum foil helmets to prevent signals from penetrating the brain. They found that the foil actually improved the signal penetration, so that won't help. They are quite stylish though.

Bob

mike_kilroy

Given the distance that the tower transmitter is relative even to a point directly below it, I suspect that the homeowner gets a larger dose when he uses his own cell phone..... And you can let them know that MIT actually researched using aluminum foil helmets to prevent signals from penetrating the brain. They found that the foil actually improved the signal penetration, so that won't help. They are quite stylish though.
Bob

I totally agree - that too was my point. Now THIS is something OP could do to PROVE it is not a safety issue - if that is the concern - do the math for them comparing watt density next to users head of the tower and their cell phone.

Perhaps MIT's foil hats were not TRIANGULAR - that may be why they did not work....

StarCat

Industrial Engineering Tech
Occupation
Imdustrial Engineering Technician - HVACR Electrical and Mechanical Systems
Cell Phone Radiation

Cell Phone Radiation

Cell phone radiation is antagonistic to all living forms. Its a " tek " that was put out there and picked up by the masses like a cat laps up a bowl of milk.
There is all manner of information and evidence for the discerning mind that its definitely not safe to operate.
Microwave ovens are a whole other big lie.
Wifi is being banned in some parts of the world because of the same reasons and people are catching on.
All the proliferation of " Frequency " pollution is across the board ill advised and its causing problems that many are in total denial of.

Do I use a Cell Phone?
Hell no.

All that being said,
I used to run HVAC service at a Motorola Pager service facility.
They had all these copper caged rooms.
Possibly something there.

All the best.

kwired

Electron manager
Cell phone radiation is antagonistic to all living forms. Its a " tek " that was put out there and picked up by the masses like a cat laps up a bowl of milk.
There is all manner of information and evidence for the discerning mind that its definitely not safe to operate.
Microwave ovens are a whole other big lie.
Wifi is being banned in some parts of the world because of the same reasons and people are catching on.
All the proliferation of " Frequency " pollution is across the board ill advised and its causing problems that many are in total denial of.

Do I use a Cell Phone?
Hell no.

All that being said,
I used to run HVAC service at a Motorola Pager service facility.
They had all these copper caged rooms.
Possibly something there.

All the best.
I have no statistical data, but would not be surprised if the sun doesn't bombard us with more RF and other radiation then all of the man made RF transmitters do.:roll:

Timbert

I have no statistical data, but would not be surprised if the sun doesn't bombard us with more RF and other radiation then all of the man made RF transmitters do.:roll:
Fortunately, we live in the middle of a very large magnetic field, that protects us from most solar radiation. Wait, very large magnetic field?! That doesn't sound good. :blink:

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician

Although that is true to some extent, if the man made radio signals weren't stronger, you wouldn't be able to hear them over the RFI from the sun. In fact, on some bands, 80m and 160m, the natural noise floor caused by nature is very high and takes more power to be heard over.

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
I would like to point out that the area right next to the cell tower is not the area that the signal is the strongest. Due to the down tilt angle of the antenna, the strongest signal is about 1/8 mile from the tower. This is done intentionally to increase coverage farther out at the expense of a not needed very strong signal closest to the source at ground level.

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
I don't know what the concern is about cell towers. Even if a person does not use a cell phone, being a few feet from others that do exposes them to RF in excess of what a cell tower exposes them to.

It's believed that the most harmful band of radio to humans is the 2m or 150 MHz band. Take a receiver and see how much you can hear on frequencies near 150 MHz. That is the area that, prior to switching to 800 MHz systems, police, fire, EMS and public service, along with 2m ham radio and business bands all operate and have for decades.

Rampage_Rick

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician

Apples to oranges. We have had billions of years of evolution to iron out how we adapt to the sun... we almost if you count skin cancer. However the field from cell phones, tower ect is relatively new. We haven't had time to adapt. Nor do we want to considering it from a Darwinian perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.