Outlet box on metal stud

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunuelbresson

once drywall is installed all the twisting of the stud suddenly goes away, unless they don't put any screws in that particular stud for some reason.

Thanks for the quick reply.

However I am not concerned with the stud moving but with the box on the stud. If you push on it, it will move significantly and it doesn't feel solid. So I was just wondering if this is common.

kwired

Electron manager
Thanks for the quick reply.

However I am not concerned with the stud moving but with the box on the stud. If you push on it, it will move significantly and it doesn't feel solid. So I was just wondering if this is common.
Can't tell enough details in the images, is it some kind of adjustable box? If not adjustable I really don't understand what is moving, if it is adjustable something is installed wrong or malfunctioning maybe.

jcbabb

I don't think there will be a sheetrock behind the box to fill the gap.
There's going to be 3 sheetrocks which will go around the box and the gap will remain.

I did not mean to imply that sheetrock would be installed "behind" the gap. What I meant was that once the sheetrock is installed on the open face of the wall, it should push the box back to where it will be squeezed between the sheetrock on either side of the stud.

You can see in the first photo that the face of the box is pushed out away from the wall. The sheetrock that has yet to be installed will push the box back towards the already installed piece of sheetrock.

bunuelbresson

Can't tell enough details in the images, is it some kind of adjustable box? If not adjustable I really don't understand what is moving, if it is adjustable something is installed wrong or malfunctioning maybe.

Capture3.JPG

Movement as shown by green arrow, because of the gap shown in first 2 photos. So if the box is pushed in, it will not remain fully perpendicular to the sheetrock. Will this movement remain once the front sheetrock is installed?

jcbabb

View attachment 9799

Movement as shown by green arrow, because of the gap shown in first 2 photos. So if the box is pushed in, it will not remain fully perpendicular to the sheetrock. Will this movement remain once the front sheetrock is installed?

Hey, now that's a much better photo! I have to take back what I said because that gap will definitely not go away. It looked much smaller from the first photos. That tab does not appear to be long enough; it should be 3-5/8" or the same width as the stud.

PetrosA

These boxes are only showing up on the Canadian TNB websites as an Iberville BC3104-LSS1X-1. The very short description included says that they're designed for mounting behind two 1/2" layers of drywall and have "wraparound" brackets for 2 1/2" or 3 5/8" steel studs. I'm guessing that's the bracket on the stud side of the box. Are these some gray market imports? ;)

http://www.tnbmobile.ca/en/site/produit/CI3104LSS1X1/0/CI3104-LSS1X-1

Last edited:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Some of the boxes in the catalog PDF appear to have a stabilizing ear which will get sandwiched between the two layers of drywall next to the box.
Was the box in question one of those, but with the additional plate broken off?
As it stands in the photo I am not sure what holds it properly in place.

Tapatalk!

GerryB

That is a strange box. I couldn't read the sticker on the one. The way to go on a job like that IMO is 4" squares with the bracket you need, side or front, then you put your one or two gang rings on whatever you need plus the right depth for the sheetrock. You can get the supports that go right on also. That little box looked a little pricey!

kwired

Electron manager
The box looks somewhat small.
Is probably ok as long as it only has one cable entry, two entries and it likely has too much conductor fill.

I still prefer 4x4's and mud rings even with only one cable entry, and snap in/ push in cable connectors are still faster than an integral clamp that uses a set screw.

Status
Not open for further replies.