Door Needed.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
Give me a break

If you buy a holeless cabinet, it is obvious to everyone -- the manufacturer, the NRTL, the inspector, and yourself -- that you must put holes in it to use it.

If you have a cabinet which has a door on it -- it is not obvious to anyone -- the manufacturer, the NRTL, the inspector, or a passerby -- that you must take the door off to use it.

APPLES and ORANGES
I was somewhat wrong, since the cabinet does not have to be listed it is kind of hard to violate the non existing listing by modifying it.

But I still think a listing is for condition of a product as it leaves the manufacturer, and once an item is put to use it is no longer listed because it is no longer in new condition. If a switching device is supposed to work for a million operations to meet a listing standard, then after the first use you are no longer listed, you now may have a switch that can only take 999,999 operations;)

Occupation
Inspector
.....If the designer suggested that you leave off box covers for j-boxes or cover plates for switches would you go along? .....that allows it to hang properly over the door.

Really?

My first thought is to just use stand-off hanging techniques. IMO, artwork spaced out from a wall surface yields better viewing aesthetics.

I now know who the customer is and this panel is on the side wall of a 5 foot hall in an apartment style Condo. This would be seen mainly from the side, certainly an option.

If the homeowner didn't care I would do it. Some of the smaller Siemens and QO loadcenters don't even have doors, so I wouldn't have a problem removing this one if the customer wanted it that way.

Something like this:

Attachments

• SqD Panel.jpg
    SqD Panel.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 0

nhfire77

I was somewhat wrong, since the cabinet does not have to be listed it is kind of hard to violate the non existing listing by modifying it.

But I still think a listing is for condition of a product as it leaves the manufacturer, and once an item is put to use it is no longer listed because it is no longer in new condition. If a switching device is supposed to work for a million operations to meet a listing standard, then after the first use you are no longer listed, you now may have a switch that can only take 999,999 operations;)

(gonna derail this thread for a second)

The listing issue with factory KO's hold true with FA panels. UL is clear on that

Never had to or pushed for a new cabinet when it happens, but it could happen.

iwire

Staff member
Give me a break

If you buy a holeless cabinet, it is obvious to everyone -- the manufacturer, the NRTL, the inspector, and yourself -- that you must put holes in it to use it.

If you have a cabinet which has a door on it -- it is not obvious to anyone -- the manufacturer, the NRTL, the inspector, or a passerby -- that you must take the door off to use it.

APPLES and ORANGES

It's obvious to me the door is not required.

The labeling on the door is required so that presents a problem.

mivey

It is obvious to me that the designer is not required, at least one that can't figure out how to hang a piece of artwork over a minute intrusion into the room space. Given the evidence of the sloppy paint job it isn't exactly the Taj Mahal so past contractor selection is questionable. Hire a more experienced designer or use some common sense.

iwire

Staff member
It is obvious to me that the designer is not required, at least one that can't figure out how to hang a piece of artwork over a minute intrusion into the room space. Given the evidence of the sloppy paint job it isn't exactly the Taj Mahal so past contractor selection is questionable. Hire a more experienced designer or use some common sense.

I am sorry, I must have missed the memo about your taking over control of peoples home design.

Occupation
Inspector

The labeling on the door is required so that presents a problem.

I hope to get to the job site sometime this week. If the door is removed I think I'll be able to get the door labeling info copied and posted on the remaining portions of the cover.

mivey

I am sorry, I must have missed the memo about your taking over control of peoples home design.
Well, we can let it go this time but in the future try and keep up will you? The home office frowns on having to re-send memos.

mivey

If the designer wants to hang a piece of art work over the panel, perhaps the designer can design a spacer behind the art work that allows it to hang properly over the door.

Or as illustrated in another thread, just cover the panel with some nice wallpaper, put a frame around it and call it a work of art.

My first thought is to just use stand-off hanging techniques. IMO, artwork spaced out from a wall surface yields better viewing aesthetics.

Any designer worth the money and with common sense can make use of these and other techniques. Then future designers won't have to deal with the following:

I'm happy when I find panels of that era behind paintings and they even have covers much less doors :D

Status
Not open for further replies.