690.10e 408.36d Back-fed Circuit Breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Per NEC 2011 and CEC2013 we are required to provide a UL listed solution to secure back-fed breakers, Sqd has a kit that complies with the requirement, talking with the AHJ of how to handle old breaker styles that are no longer being sold was told we need to perform panel upgrades. my question is has anyone come across a solution to retain old breaker types like Zinsco, push-matic.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Per NEC 2011 and CEC2013 we are required to provide a UL listed solution to secure back-fed breakers, Sqd has a kit that complies with the requirement, talking with the AHJ of how to handle old breaker styles that are no longer being sold was told we need to perform panel upgrades. my question is has anyone come across a solution to retain old breaker types like Zinsco, push-matic.

I think you are going to have to comply to meet the letter of the code.
Is this a stand alone inverter? If it is just a utility interactive with no battery storage you only need to comply with 705.12(D)(5) and (6) which would not require compliance with the securing requirement.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I can't believe that you would be required to provide a product that is un-available as a repair.

A breaker replacement change should not be something a AHJ has something to say about. meanning no permit. no inspection.

I think you are going to have to comply to meet the letter of the code.
Is this a stand alone inverter? If it is just a utility interactive with no battery storage you only need to comply with 705.12(D)(5) and (6) which would not require compliance with the securing requirement.

This is a stand alone system, the AHJ i believe is taking this out of context. 690.10 is for stand alone systems and as defined 690.2 " A Solar Photovoltaic System that supplies power independently of an electrical production and distribution network." utility interactive with no battery storage will not produce in the absance of the utility.

Edy

Reply from JHA on backfed

Reply from JHA on backfed

I just recieved the following responce from the JHA

Hello Edy
We just located in the CEC code 705.12 D 6. That the additional fastener can be omitted in utility interactive inverters BuT required on stand alone. Check it out!
Sorry for the inconvenience. Thank you for all your time and effort in this.

" we all are still learning"

Status
Not open for further replies.