receptacles need protection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireman1

do receptacles in a commercial kitchen were the walls may be pressured washed need to be weather resistant and have an enclosure that is weather proof when the attachment plug is removed , also they must be gfci protected if 120 volts.

iwire

Staff member
do receptacles in a commercial kitchen were the walls may be pressured washed need to be weather resistant and have an enclosure that is weather proof when the attachment plug is removed , also they must be gfci protected if 120 volts.

If it is subject to wash down it is a wet location and all wet location rules apply.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
I agree with Bob. And also, 15 and 20A, 120V receptacles must be gfci protected whether the walls will be pressure washed or not (210.8(B)(2)).

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
And if the equipment plugged into those receptacles is still plugged in during wash-down you will need In-use weather resistant covers not just the ones that say " with cover closed".
I would also recommend using WR(weather resistant) GFCI's that will put up with the additional moisture imposed.

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If it's a wet location wouldn't you need an "in use" style cover whether the plug was inserted or not?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
If it's a wet location wouldn't you need an "in use" style cover whether the plug was inserted or not?
Not in a "wash down" area. Those covers leak too much when the walls are being washed down, the old type seal better under those conditions.
406.9(B)(1) ... Exception: 15- and 20-ampere, 125- through 250-volt receptacles installed in a wet location and subject to routine highpressure
spray washing shall be permitted to have an enclosure that is weatherproof when the attachment plug is removed.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I always assumed that high pressure washing was beyond typical washing hose pressure.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I always assumed that high pressure washing was beyond typical washing hose pressure.
It all depends on whether high pressure spray washing is equivalent to washing with the spray from a (high) pressure washer. :angel:

You can probably get pressures high enough to infiltrate an in-use cover without much difficulty from a 60PSI-fed garden hose and a good nozzle.
The critical word, IMHO, is "spray" which could be angled to drive water back along the cord exit path, where drip or sponge washing would not. (And a nice mist spray from a garden sprayer or aerosol can probably would not do it either.)

Last edited:

captainwireman

210.8 (B)(2)

Reference Leviton Wetguard wiring devices. They are rated NEMA 4X and IP66 and IP67. I would think this area, since pressure wash is the application, that you would need devices rated for this particular environment.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The code does not define "high pressure". I read the exception as applying where any type of pressure washing is used....of course the AHJ may not read it that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.