Local phone book

Status
Not open for further replies.

HackElectric

Does anyone advertise in the local phone book?

When I first started out, everyone said not to waste my money on it and to use the internet instead, which I have and it's working pretty well.

But I could always use more customers so I am exploring other avenues.

How have phone book ads worked for you?

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Does anyone advertise in the local phone book?

When I first started out, everyone said not to waste my money on it and to use the internet instead, which I have and it's working pretty well.

But I could always use more customers so I am exploring other avenues.

How have phone book ads worked for you?
Not in business for myself but I have noticed in the last few weeks that new phone books are being left at peoples mailboxes. And that is where they are staying. People won't even take them in the house. The least they could do is throw then in the recycle bin.
I would not waste my money on phone book advertising.

GUNNING

Live in the city then you bet!

Live in the city then you bet!

Not in business for myself but I have noticed in the last few weeks that new phone books are being left at peoples mailboxes. And that is where they are staying. People won't even take them in the house. The least they could do is throw then in the recycle bin.
I would not waste my money on phone book advertising.
I got a free column add with my internet add in YP.com last year.
I did notice a bump in calls when the add was there. I do not have one this year and the calls did decline. The phone book is only distributed in high population dense areas. Nobody goes to the Yellow pages first except little old ladies and those without the internet.
If you live in a big city, Yea do the phone book. If your customer base is seperated by a lot of grass, water, sand or trees, its a waste of money.
Will I do the phone book next year? Not sure yet.

HackElectric

I think some of the calls I get, when the customer says they found me on internet, the internet listing was a result of local yellow page listing.
I've manually put my company info on every directory listing I could find.

My local phone book is done by Verizon and their online directory seems to be nonexistent.

mgookin

I haven't read a phone book or brought one in the house or office for more than 10 years, maybe 15.
I guess it depends on how much they charge and if you're willing to spend that money to find the answer to your question.

kwired

Electron manager
I think it depends on where you live. I think rural people have more use for phone books then city people, though that is changing some as more are dropping their land line phones for mobile phones, and their numbers are not being listed in any phone books. Business still uses land lines and can be beneficial in rural or cities though to have your name and number in white and yellow pages, but individuals are not going to spend money to have a number published, just so happens they automatically publish land line numbers unless you specifically tell them not to.

You can have any number published in the book but may have to pay for it if you are not a subscriber to the system operated by the source of the directory.

But again rural vs. cities is a big difference. Joe Blow in the city has an electrical problem, he doesn't know any electricians nearby so he goes to either the phone book or to the internet and chooses one.

Joe Blow in the rural area has an electrical problem, he knows there are a limited number of electricians in his area, and may even know some of them, but doesn't necessarily know their contact numbers - so he still goes to the phone book or the internet but mostly to find the number and not to find an electrician.

John120/240

Joe Blow in the rural area has an electrical problem, he knows there are a limited number of electricians in his area, and may even know some of them, but doesn't necessarily know their contact numbers - so he still goes to the phone book or the internet but mostly to find the number and not to find an electrician.

In rural areas I would go to the Local hang out where all of the characters gather to chew the fat. It might be the restaurant, bar, hardware store, elevator, etc

kwired

Electron manager
In rural areas I would go to the Local hang out where all of the characters gather to chew the fat. It might be the restaurant, bar, hardware store, elevator, etc

That is likely the best information center of any small community. But when Joe Blow decides to play weekend warrior and gets in over his head he thinks I am on call 24/7, and if he doesn't already have my number will likely look for it in the phone book. I generally do not answer the phone on weekends anymore. Just because people have the weekend off they must think I have nothing better to do. I will monitor the caller ID or the answering machine and selectively take some calls. If they can wait for the weekend for their project I can wait for Monday to respond to non emergencies.:happyyes:

mgookin

Make sure you show up on Google Maps. Many people will enter " Electrician (zip code) " to find someone close by. Theoretically that results in lower trip fee/ travel time and gets better & faster service.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I did yellow pages for 2 years and got some calls from it, not a lot. I foolishly did not set up a website, as I should have. Those over 60 may still hit the phone book 1st as they did not grow up with the web.

If you do a YP ad, do so only in the local provider's book, ie Verizon, Southern Bell, etc. A former boss bought ads in Talking Phone Book & a couple of other knockoff directories. Those are virtually useless, if they are even still around. We still keep a local book and use it sometimes but not like we used to.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
I did yellow pages for 2 years and got some calls from it, not a lot. I foolishly did not set up a website, as I should have. Those over 60 may still hit the phone book 1st as they did not grow up with the web.

If you do a YP ad, do so only in the local provider's book, ie Verizon, Southern Bell, etc. A former boss bought ads in Talking Phone Book & a couple of other knockoff directories. Those are virtually useless, if they are even still around. We still keep a local book and use it sometimes but not like we used to.
You missed nothing, I set it up with the website and could have just went to the bank and handed out $10,000 IN cash and won more customers.

Daja7

Ten years ago we got about 35% of our calls from the yellow pages. now we don't get enough to cover the cost. Actually the cost is now higher than the revenue. We stopped and put our money in other areas and has paid off much better. The best investment we made was the web page but you have to have someone that knows the business because it must stay active and change to be relevant. A bit of work but our revenue from it is about 4 times our expense and getting better all the time. Advertising is a huge expense and you need to know which works and which does not. I know where every single call comes from and which turns into revenue from each advertising medium.
It is work but you have to do it.

kwired

Electron manager
Ten years ago we got about 35% of our calls from the yellow pages. now we don't get enough to cover the cost. Actually the cost is now higher than the revenue. We stopped and put our money in other areas and has paid off much better. The best investment we made was the web page but you have to have someone that knows the business because it must stay active and change to be relevant. A bit of work but our revenue from it is about 4 times our expense and getting better all the time. Advertising is a huge expense and you need to know which works and which does not. I know where every single call comes from and which turns into revenue from each advertising medium.
It is work but you have to do it.

The best advertising I have ever had was word of mouth, and it doesn't cost anything:happyyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.