Digital/pdf version of NEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Is the PDF locked to the computer it was downloaded on, or can it be opened on any computer?

You can copy the files and use it elsewhere but the legal download pdf has your name on every page at the top

I get this on every page

Copyright 2013 National Fire Protection Association (NFPA). Licensed, by agreement, for individual use and single download on October 9, 2013 to ALWON ELECTRIC for designated user DENNIS ALWON|. No
other reproduction or transmission in any form permitted without written permission of NFPA. For inquires or to report unauthorized use, contact licensing@nfpa.org.

HackElectric

I thought that the 2011 had the same thing (the customer's name written at the top of every page)?

I know there are copies out there without it, but I thought the ones that people bought had their name on top?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I thought that the 2011 had the same thing (the customer's name written at the top of every page)?

I know there are copies out there without it, but I thought the ones that people bought had their name on top?

That is true- the 2011 has the same thing but the old cd-rom deal --2008 obviously did not have that issue-- of course that won't run on win 8

kwired

Electron manager
That is true- the 2011 has the same thing but the old cd-rom deal --2008 obviously did not have that issue-- of course that won't run on win 8
I'd bet it will run on Win 8, but not too many have the need to install 2008 either. I have a lot of older software on my win 8 computer that is not supposed to work but is working just fine, they tell you this stuff so you will fork over some cash for newer versions.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I'd bet it will run on Win 8, but not too many have the need to install 2008 either. I have a lot of older software on my win 8 computer that is not supposed to work but is working just fine, they tell you this stuff so you will fork over some cash for newer versions.

I tried-- the problem is the cd rom has a different version of adobe built in and that is where the issue is-- I have not been able to figure out how to change that.

kwired

Electron manager
I tried-- the problem is the cd rom has a different version of adobe built in and that is where the issue is-- I have not been able to figure out how to change that.

On the CD's there was the Folio viewer program - which was the program you installed and used that had all the great navigation features.

There was also a PDF file on the disk that you could open with any PDF reader, but would be limited to the navigation features of your reader.

Are you trying to open the PDF directly or did you install the software on the disk and then open it.

One other problem is with the 2008 version they set it up so each disk could only be installed so many times (like 5 IIRC) they somehow automatically incorporated a license code or something that would recognize how many times that license was installed and would not allow activation of additional copies, beyond what was paid for. I'm sure there were still people that knew how to find a way around that though.

Prior to 2008 you had to have the disk in the drive while using the program, again probably some ways around that but most users didn't bother or know how. I had tried to burn a copy of the disk but it apparently had security features that wouldn't let you make copies that worked - again probably was ways around it but you needed to know more then the average user.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I don't remember exactly but I did use folio view. I remember installing the 2008 cd and then had issue with all the programs that used adobe. I finally had to delete it to get them working. Now unfortunately I have used the max so I cannot load it.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Prior to 2008 you had to have the disk in the drive while using the program.
The 2005 NECH could be downloaded twice the same as the 2008 I had it downloaded at work and home.

I replaced my home computer, called the NFPA and they reset both CDs for me. I have since replaced my home computer again and the company has updated computers so I have not tried to get them reset since they don't really mean much.

Roger

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I don't know why I typed windows 8 I have windows 7----lol. On windows 7 you can go in virtual mode and use XP-- my program for 2008 nec is installed there and works fine. I could not get that result on windows 7

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
The 2005 NECH could be downloaded twice the same as the 2008 I had it downloaded at work and home.

I replaced my home computer, called the NFPA and they reset both CDs for me. I have since replaced my home computer again and the company has updated computers so I have not tried to get them reset since they don't really mean much.

Roger

NFPA has always been helpful on those issues... All it takes is a phone call and they will set it right for you

kwired

Electron manager
Win 7 an Win 8 both have modes for running older software if needed. I haven't needed to use that mode with any older software on either version yet, and have some programs that claim they will not work on Win 7 or Win 8. Like I said before, they want you to buy the newer version even if you don't really need to.

Getting a new computer is not all that expensive anymore, but is if you have to replace all your software with newer versions.

But heck, we all do the same thing by telling our customers they need to update items to comply with current codes:happyyes:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Not quite as bad as telling them they need to replace all of the luminaires and appliances after a service upgrade. :)
Oh, well maybe for 120/240 to 208Y/220....

Tapatalk!

Status
Not open for further replies.