Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 210.12(B) Exception: AFCI 6ft rule

I can't imagine why the inspector is using the conductor length both ways.... Assuming nm cable then how would 3' of nm being of any help at all... the inspector is in error.

Ask the inspector how he would calculate a multiwire branch circuit--- 2' of cable???? Makes no sense

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
    I can't imagine why the inspector is using the conductor length both ways.... Assuming nm cable then how would 3' of nm being of any help at all... the inspector is in error.

Ask the inspector how he would calculate a multiwire branch circuit--- 2' of cable???? Makes no sense
    Make it a three phase MWBC and you only get 18".

Extend two of them as part of the same panel move and get 9"?

Quote Originally Posted by GoldDigger View Post
    Make it a three phase MWBC and you only get 18".

Extend two of them as part of the same panel move and get 9"?
    Yep, gets absurd doesn't it. Not sure if the inspector is just being difficult or if he really thought it was meant to be that way. I can assure him he is ioncorrect

IMO, the 6' distance can be very tight in many instances even between enclosures.
    No doubt, even the 10' tap rule can be tough to comply with.

Yep, gets absurd doesn't it. Not sure if the inspector is just being difficult or if he really thought it was meant to be that way. I can assure him he is incorrect
    I agree and really would 3' or 6' make any difference? Your proposal was great because it adds direct language as to how the distance is measured and takes care of an extremely common installation.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

In Washington we had a state rule that limited the length of unfused service entrance conductors in a building to 15 feet of conductor. This proved to be difficult to measure, so it was changed to 15 ft of raceway.
    Moderator-Washington State
    Ancora Imparo

I was a bit concerned that the panel was required to be moved from a landing area -- if there is compliant clear space on a landing is it really a step?
    I do find it a bit disturbing that an inspector is required to measure the make up inside a panel & device box -- you would be eliminating 2-3' on every installation, I use the KISS rule as most measurements are from edge of water/basin/storage space/front of panel/ which would be consistent with jbox to jbox -- show me where the major difference in 9' to 6' as an extension is a life safety factor . There is an option to run up to 70' of 12-2nm without any protection to first device so why would a few extra feet be so critical???

KISS
    CircuitRyder --- Unfortunately not all good ideas are code enforceable.

Quote Originally Posted by tom baker View Post
    In Washington we had a state rule that limited the length of unfused service entrance conductors in a building to 15 feet of conductor. This proved to be difficult to measure, so it was changed to 15 ft of raceway.
    Now you have people that think there is no limits on cable methods right?

Quote Originally Posted by mwm1752 View Post
    There is an option to run up to 70' of 12-2nm without any protection to first device so why would a few extra feet be so critical???

KISS

That is only when using a breaker and device that are listed together. There is no such device afaik.. Anyway I agree 6' is too short even without counting the wire inside the enclosure

That is only when using a breaker and device that are listed together. There is no such device afaik.. Anyway I agree 6' is too short even without counting the wire inside the enclosure

Brain fart Dennis thanks for keeping me in line
    CircuitRyder --- Unfortunately not all good ideas are code enforceable.