bonding the secondary bus question

Status
Not open for further replies.

pegggu

hi all,
noobie question here.
if the distribution/power company say had 2 seperate secondary buses.. say one for house services and one for streetlighting for example.

what would be the reason to bond these two services, if they are both 120V? would it be so that they are at the same potential? would this affect the voltage on either of them?

say one of the buses was 120V and the other was 240V, could you still bond it? if yes, what would happen? if no, what would happen if you did bond them.. and if no, would it be because they are at different voltages?

thanks in advance!

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Just out of curiosity, and not to push upon the newbie status (for we are all here to learn), let me ask one question. This will help us understand where you are, so that we can help you take the next step. When you talk about "bonding," what thing do you envision is being connected to what other thing, and for what reason?

pegggu

Just out of curiosity, and not to push upon the newbie status (for we are all here to learn), let me ask one question. This will help us understand where you are, so that we can help you take the next step. When you talk about "bonding," what thing do you envision is being connected to what other thing, and for what reason?

sorry, i should have been more clear on that. there are 2 secondary buses.. and when i said bond them, i meant bond the neutrals.
when we bond the neutral if they are both 120v buses, it should be the right thing to do in order to have them at the same potential.
but can we bond the neutrals if say one is a 120v bus and the other is a 240v bus? or would that overload the neutral?

hopefully that made sense.

thanks for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.