is it just me

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichB

Occupation
Electrician/Electrical Inspector
seriously tho--I would not install it in and contact the manufacturer--if they blow you off or start giving you the run around--have everybody involved in the contract start leaning on them

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
My local CH sales was the first person to get the picture and he is doing follow up.

The largest problem is working through all the layers to find who can ID the appropriate part, then send it. It doesn't seem all that long ago that a phone call to "Dan" would get immediate results. Not any more.

rcwilson

Looks like a good design to me.

Compare the amount of copper on the bus work with the metal surface of the fuse. The difference in cross section is pretty significant. To make up for the lack of contact area on the flat surfaces of the fuse, obviously the designer plans on using the extra 0.50 square inches available on the ends of the bus pieces.

Just make sure you grind and file the ends to get a good interference fit with the top and bottom fuse surfaces.

kwired

Electron manager
seriously tho--I would not install it in and contact the manufacturer--if they blow you off or start giving you the run around--have everybody involved in the contract start leaning on them

Looks like he probably installed it then later discovered it doesn't match up to the fuse that is supposed to fit. Most likely the supplier will send another unit and he can hopefully change the guts or at least the wrong bus work and return it and let them deal with the defect. I know my main supplier of this kind of thing would do that - but it would be Square D gear from that supplier.

Ragin Cajun

Be interesting to hear what the vendor does to "fix" it. One way would be to modify only ONE of the bus pieces on each phase to fit the fuse. That way you would have maximum contact with the fuse with minimum cutting and drilling. Changing out much more will be expensive!

What are those black things over each set of the three phase conductors at the bottom of the picture? Just curious.

Sure is a lot of bus getting reduced at the fuse.

RC

kwired

Electron manager
Be interesting to hear what the vendor does to "fix" it. One way would be to modify only ONE of the bus pieces on each phase to fit the fuse. That way you would have maximum contact with the fuse with minimum cutting and drilling. Changing out much more will be expensive!

What are those black things over each set of the three phase conductors at the bottom of the picture? Just curious.

Sure is a lot of bus getting reduced at the fuse.

RC

Could be as simple as relocating something to the correct mounting holes.

kwired

Electron manager
Might be as simple as moving the lower assembly down. I hadn't thought of that particular solution. It works in other applications.
Exactly one possibility I had on my mind when I wrote that.

And if all else fails read the instructions - if it is intended to be used with more then one type of fuse this may actually be in the instructions:happyyes:

Last edited:

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
What are those black things over each set of the three phase conductors at the bottom of the picture? Just curious.RC

looks like heat shrink.
Could be just a cover they put over the wires after they lashed them together with rope to prevent movement during a fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.