Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Preparing for NJ Electrical Exam

Quote Originally Posted by matt123 View Post
    I have also been told it's not so much memorizing the code book but more knowing how to navigate through it. Tips or advice on being able to find the answers quickly in the NEC? Thanks.

That is one advantage of taking a local test prep course. If you want to learn on your own then I would highly recommend Mike's stuff. I used several of his resources when taking the inspector exams a few years ago.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Thank you. I am looking into local prep classes for once I get my approval. Until then I'm gonna keep researching online. Also I know I need the nec 2014, but do you have a link to where I can get the fire alarm and business and law books to study from? I had also seen The ultimate 2014 nec tagged and highlighted. That one worth it?Thanks
    Last edited by matt123; 08-18-16 at 07:46 AM.

Does anyone have a link to where I can get all the study material for the nj exam? I found the reference books on their site but it wont bring me to the books. Or at least pics of the books so I can find them. I am having a hard time finding the proper fire book. Keeps showing me 2016 but the site says 2010. Thanks.

Ok so my paperwork was sent to the board yesterday. I want to start studying and preparing ASAP. Any and all tips appreciated. Also when and where should I look for a course to get into? Anyone have experience or teach here? Thank you.

i want to order mike holts exam prep book, is there a different one for this years nj exam or is it just one book and it's the same?

Quote Originally Posted by matt123 View Post
    i want to order mike holts exam prep book, is there a different one for this years nj exam or is it just one book and it's the same?
    NJ is under the 2014 NEC for at least the next 18 months so you need to study the 2014. For the most part NJ has very few amendments so the test should be based on the complete NEC. One of our members here Rick Napier is an instructor. I have taken one of his State CEU classes and found him to be very knowledgeable. I'm not sure if he does test prep but you can PM him and ask.

Where in NJ are you located?
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    NJ is under the 2014 NEC for at least the next 18 months so you need to study the 2014. For the most part NJ has very few amendments so the test should be based on the complete NEC. One of our members here Rick Napier is an instructor. I have taken one of his State CEU classes and found him to be very knowledgeable. I'm not sure if he does test prep but you can PM him and ask.

Where in NJ are you located?
    Thanks, I ordered the exam prep book. I'm located in Morris county.

You can check out BobFrangipane.com if you're willing to travel the Lyndhurst, NJ for test prep seminars. My brother-in-law took his prep class a few years ago and passed on the first try.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    You can check out BobFrangipane.com if you're willing to travel the Lyndhurst, NJ for test prep seminars. My brother-in-law took his prep class a few years ago and passed on the first try.
    I think I had spoken to a partner of his that also does the class. That sounds great I would love to pass first time around. Just gotta put in the work. Thanks .

It is New Jersey, won't a coupla C-notes to a guy named Guido or Paoli take care of any problems.
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin

Derek