NEC 2014 314.16(b)(1) interpretation

Status
Not open for further replies.

greyvulf

Folks, I am a first year apprentice with the Local 68 here in Colorado, presently studying box fill. NEC 314.16(b)(1) states the following:
"Each conductor that originates outside the box and terminates or is spliced within the box shall be counted once, and each conductor that passes through the box without splice or termination shall be counted once. Each loop or coil of unbroken conductor not less than twice the minimum length required for free conductors in 300.14 shall be counted twice. The conductor fill shall be calculated using Table 314.16(B). .. "

.. the last sentence (following) is what I am having trouble with:
"A conductor, no part of which leaves the box, shall not be counted"

Can someone please give me an example and/or explanation of this last sentence?

Thank you in advance,
Jaye

fmtjfw

Two examples:

Two examples:

1) A hot wire comes into a 2-gang box with two switches. The hot wire is wirenutted to 2 short wires that feed power to the two switches. The 2 short wires are what is described as: "A conductor, no part of which leaves the box, shall not be counted"

2) A hot, neutral, and grounding wire come into a 2-gang box. The hot, neutral and grounding wires are all wirenutted to 2 short wires each which feed 2 duplex receptacles. The 4 short hot and neutral wires are what is described as: "A conductor, no part of which leaves the box, shall not be counted" The grounding wires have an even simpler rule: All grounding wires count as one wire (of the largest size).

Hope this helps.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Not all EGC's are bare but even the insulated ones only count as one conductor. An equipment bonding jumper from the device to the box would also be an example of a conductor that does not count towards fill.

Status
Not open for further replies.