Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Preparing for NJ Electrical Exam

Preparing for NJ Electrical Exam

Hey guys, I am planning on taking the exam and was hoping for some feedback on how to prepare for it. I was looking for some input on what books I should buy and if there are specific points to focus on. I saw the programs here but they are a little out of my price range at the moment. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Matt

I would look into a good test prep class which will specifically tailored to the NJ exam. Also Mike has a great deal of free stuff on the Internet including practice quizzes and tests.

http://www.mikeholt.com/free-resources.php
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    I would look into a good test prep class which will specifically tailored to the NJ exam. Also Mike has a great deal of free stuff on the Internet including practice quizzes and tests.

http://www.mikeholt.com/free-resources.php
    Thanks for the reply I will look into it.

When you take the practice tests it is important that when you get one wrong you don't just understand that thier answer is right but you realize how you should of found the answer.
    Rick Napier
    Inspector and Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by RICK NAPIER View Post
    When you take the practice tests it is important that when you get one wrong you don't just understand that thier answer is right but you realize how you should of found the answer.
    Thanks Rick. That's a really good point. Very much appreciated. Now also as far as getting the ball rolling. So I just need the work certificate with 5 years showing I have worked? Or do I need a certificate from every employer? Just wanna have my papers in order when I try to get approval to take the exam. Thanks

Have you downloaded the paperwork from the DCA? The instructions are pretty clear as to what they want. But it's good that you're being proactive you don't want a paperwork error to keep you from sitting for the test when you want to take it.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    Have you downloaded the paperwork from the DCA? The instructions are pretty clear as to what they want. It's good that you're being proactive you don't want a paperwork error to keep you from sitting for the test when you want to take it.
    Yea I did. Just trying to make sure there's nothing that I may be missing. If I have 5 years at a particular company is it necessary to have others sign off and seal work certification forms?

What study program from either here or another site would you guys recommend? Not trying to break the bank but I do want to be prepared and pass the test.. Any links and I will take a look. Thank you.

I have also been told it's not so much memorizing the code book but more knowing how to navigate through it. Tips or advice on being able to find the answers quickly in the NEC? Thanks.