Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 NEC Pdf is available

2017 NEC Pdf is available

I ordered the 2017 NEC book with the pdf from Nfpa.org. I got an email that the pdf is available for download. I just downloaded it-- simple easy. Just thought you would all like to know
    Last edited by Dennis Alwon; 09-26-16 at 08:14 AM.

Interesting thing they did--- the listed the code making panel number of the panel that was responsible for the definition. For example

Feeder. All circuit conductors between the service equipment,
    the source of a separately derived system, or other power
    supply source and the final branch-circuit overcurrent device.
    (CMP-2)

So they added an "N" next to the new paragraphs. I like this because in the past they didn't highlight it because it was not change so it would look like it was existing. I believe that is right--getting old

Here are some more new changes

2017-- the lights in a crawl space must be gfci protect and

(4) Garage Branch Circuits. In addition to the number of
    branch circuits required by other parts of this section, at least
    one 120-volt, 20-ampere branch circuit shall be installed to
    supply receptacle outlets in attached garages and in detached
    garages with electric power. This circuit shall have no other
    outlets.
    Exception: This circuit shall be permitted to supply readily accessible
    outdoor receptacle outlets.

I would like some comment on this one please

Here is an interesting one. I read this to mean if we have a desk area with receptacles at the desk top then the space below may need a receptacle if it falls into the standard distance rule req. for recep. on a wall. That's nuts. I can see if it were in a cabinet with a door---Maybe I am reading this incorrectly

(4) Countertop and Similar Work Surface Receptacle Outlets.
    Receptacles installed for countertop and similar work surfaces
    as specified in 210.52(C) shall not be considered as the receptacle
    outlets required by 210.52(A).

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post

Here is an interesting one. I read this to mean if we have a desk area with receptacles at the desk top then the space below may need a receptacle if it falls into the standard distance rule req. for recep. on a wall. That's nuts. I can see if it were in a cabinet with a door---Maybe I am reading this incorrectly
    Consider "that do not have countertops or similar work surfaces" was added to 210.52(A)(2).
    I'll never get there. No matter where I go, I'm always here.

Quote Originally Posted by Smart $ View Post
    Consider "that do not have countertops or similar work surfaces" was added to 210.52(A)(2).
    I don't see that as changing anything. One says that a wall space that has a cabinet with a work space is considered wall space but the other seems to say that outlets install for the work space will not satisfy the requirement for the wall space outlets. That is what I was saying so I am missing your point.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post

I am currently taking a CEU class a couple nights a week. We covered that one last week, they had a Mike Holt graphic showing a countertop with a receptacle near the end of the countertop, then less then six feet of wall with no counter to a door. It was explaining that the less then six foot of wall couldn't use the countertop receptacle to meet the receptacle required on that wall even though it was withing six feet of the door.

.......................R
    countertop________
    ........................................R2

_______________________________DOOR_______

Crude drawing using text above hope it made sense. If the door were less then 6 feet from receptacle "R" in previous codes this would satisify 210.52(A). Now they are saying you need "R2" to satisify 210.52(A).

had to edit my crude drawing as it wouldn let me use blank spaces to position the R and R2, so the periods in front of them are just there to position the receptacles along the floor/counter line.

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    I am currently taking a CEU class a couple nights a week. We covered that one last week, they had a Mike Holt graphic showing a countertop with a receptacle near the end of the countertop, then less then six feet of wall with no counter to a door. It was explaining that the less then six foot of wall couldn't use the countertop receptacle to meet the receptacle required on that wall even though it was withing six feet of the door.

.......................R
    countertop________
    ........................................R2

_______________________________DOOR_______

Crude drawing using text above hope it made sense. If the door were less then 6 feet from receptacle "R" in previous codes this would satisify 210.52(A). Now they are saying you need "R2" to satisify 210.52(A).

had to edit my crude drawing as it wouldn let me use blank spaces to position the R and R2, so the periods in front of them are just there to position the receptacles along the floor/counter line.

So my interpretation is correct. That is an odd rule since I can install an outlet 5'6" with no counter and it is compliant...

I thought the NEC was not a design guide!

Quote Originally Posted by Sierrasparky View Post
    I thought the NEC was not a design guide!
    Well it blew that one a long time ago when 210.52 was added. I can kind of see the need for some spacing requirements but where does one start and stop if you have them?