Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27

Thread: Surveillance and security systems

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    1,736
    Quote Originally Posted by fireryan View Post
    I'd probably be better off sticking to the plug and play I think. After all I'm just a dumb electrician. I've been looking at the Honeywell lyric system you suggested and seems pretty straightforward and looks to be something I could install myself. How does the alarm monitoring work on those. Does Honeywell offer a monitoring service? And would they monitor it if I installed it myself instead on a authorized dealer?
    You need a dealer. Call the local ADI branch and get a referral from the branch manager. You could buy from ADI as an electrician, install it yourself and have a dealer program and monitor it.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    583
    Quote Originally Posted by nhfire77 View Post
    You need a dealer. Call the local ADI branch and get a referral from the branch manager. You could buy from ADI as an electrician, install it yourself and have a dealer program and monitor it.
    Ok thanks I'll try that tomorrow. I did a branch search and of course there's none in my state. I see some websites like alarm grid selling the Honeywell systems and also do monitoring. Are those any good?

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    1,736
    Quote Originally Posted by fireryan View Post
    Ok thanks I'll try that tomorrow. I did a branch search and of course there's none in my state. I see some websites like alarm grid selling the Honeywell systems and also do monitoring. Are those any good?
    I sell monitoring so I can't speak to those types of service. They offer tech support so that might be a selling point if you are doing all the work yourself

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    583
    Quote Originally Posted by nhfire77 View Post
    I sell monitoring so I can't speak to those types of service. They offer tech support so that might be a selling point if you are doing all the work yourself
    I'd prefer to get it thru the ADI branch just because I'd feel better about it not just being some internet company. I'll give them a call tomorrow. Thanks for your help

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Williamsburg, VA
    Posts
    5,668
    Wireless and wired together would be better than wireless. There are devices on the market that jam wireless signals, easier to use than cutting a phone line, which should trip an alarm anyway.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Bremerton, Washington
    Posts
    7,971
    Costco has a system with cameras and a DVR. Electrician friend put one and got it working, not that hard according to him, plus send pics to cell phone
    Moderator-Washington State
    Ancora Imparo

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Fort Myers, FL
    Posts
    4,012
    Quote Originally Posted by tom baker View Post
    Costco has a system with cameras and a DVR. Electrician friend put one and got it working, not that hard according to him, plus send pics to cell phone
    I bought the same thing from Sam's. Lifetime online access. Lifetime = until they say no longer. It was (and is) Samsung. They are thieves. It was $200 worth of product and $600 worth of service. I got $50 worth of service.
    You make the lights come on and we make them go off.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    1,736
    Quote Originally Posted by JFletcher View Post
    Wireless and wired together would be better than wireless. There are devices on the market that jam wireless signals, easier to use than cutting a phone line, which should trip an alarm anyway.
    That used to be he case. The new systems (ones I recommended) use frequent hopping which keeps the ahead of a jammer being retuned. Not impossible but highly unlikely to be jammed

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Merchantville, Camden County New Jersey
    Posts
    17
    I use Interlogix Concorde panel (formally GE) which gives you plenty of wireless zones and the capability of 8 hard wired zones es as well. Great system


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Dawsonville
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by mgookin View Post
    As a temporary measure, go get some of the dummy cameras with a 9V battery and a red light and some of the placards that say Video Surveillance. Friend of mine did that when his shop was being broken into regularly and it stopped the break-ins. They're not real cameras but the dumb criminals don't know that. You can do that for $50 while you take your time putting together a good system.

    I use ADT. I know many people talk trash about them, but they're good. Spend the money and let them do the work and you'll have a real nice system. They use Honeywell products.
    ADT utilizes contractors, which isn't a bad thing in "most" cases. But, truly, I have been in the security/LV industry for 32 years and ADT is one of the worst.

    To answer the OP's question, we use Hikvision which is some of the best product available today as well in terms of distributor pricing and product quality. Hikvision only sells through distribution, so the items you see on Amazon, etc, stay away from.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •