Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Surveillance and security systems

Surveillance and security systems

Does anybody have any experiences with any surveillance systems? Looking into the Flir brand but haven't really heard anything about them, they just offer what I need. Also looking into a wireless security system. The best I could find was simplisafe but not real sure on the quality of there product. What are some other brands you guys have installed and liked?

Quote Originally Posted by fireryan View Post
    Does anybody have any experiences with any surveillance systems? Looking into the Flir brand but haven't really heard anything about them, they just offer what I need. Also looking into a wireless security system. The best I could find was simplisafe but not real sure on the quality of there product. What are some other brands you guys have installed and liked?

Flir's non IR cameras are how shall I say this nicely.....very entry level. What distributor will you buy from?

For a wireless security system you'll want either Honeywell Lyric or DSC Neo (both use encrypted devices) . Simplisafe isn't very secure, I've been told there wireless keypad transmits the user code unencrypted.

Quote Originally Posted by nhfire77 View Post
    Flir's non IR cameras are how shall I say this nicely.....very entry level. What distributor will you buy from?

For a wireless security system you'll want either Honeywell Lyric or DSC Neo (both use encrypted devices) . Simplisafe isn't very secure, I've been told there wireless keypad transmits the user code unencrypted.
    That's why I was asking since I haven't heard that. I would be buying the security cameras online from the FLir website. Im actually going to be installing these on my own shop. I've been broken into twice this year having wire and tools stolen. I need some sort of surveillance system to see whats going on. You don't think the Flir will suit my needs? Gonna have 4 total outside and 2 inside

Quote Originally Posted by fireryan View Post
    That's why I was asking since I haven't heard that. I would be buying the security cameras online from the FLir website. Im actually going to be installing these on my own shop. I've been broken into twice this year having wire and tools stolen. I need some sort of surveillance system to see whats going on. You don't think the Flir will suit my needs? Gonna have 4 total outside and 2 inside
    They are ok, I'm just not a big fan of their quality...it all OEM stuff as a lot of low cost brands are. Make sure you hide the NVR and put it in a lock box so they don't steal that too. If your shop isn't huge put multiple really loud sirens (will require a separate power supply) in if you are dealing with smash and grab. If it's loud enough it can be disorientating to someone running around in the dark. siren/Strobes would be even better. And get the alarm monitored by a professional company, don't just make it local alarm only. They should use cellular of radio to transmit the alarm signals...no cutting phone lines.

They are ok, I'm just not a big fan of their quality...it all OEM stuff as a lot of low cost brands are. Make sure you hide the NVR and put it in a lock box so they don't steal that too. If your shop isn't huge put multiple really loud sirens (will require a separate power supply) in if you are dealing with smash and grab. If it's loud enough it can be disorientating to someone running around in the dark. siren/Strobes would be even better. And get the alarm monitored by a professional company, don't just make it local alarm only. They should use cellular of radio to transmit the alarm signals...no cutting phone lines.
    What would you recommend for a camera system? If the Flir is low quality then I'm not interested in it

Are you computer savvy enough to set static IPs, forward ports etc?

If so Milestone Husky or an Exacq Una appliance (NVR). If not you may want to stick with a plug and play set up such as Flir or Hikvision. My personal choice for cameras is Axis, Bosch, Arecont, Vivotek....all much more expensive than Flir. Panasonic, Samsung and Digital Watchdog also make good cameras, Digital Watchdog has a good user interface on their NVRs

As a temporary measure, go get some of the dummy cameras with a 9V battery and a red light and some of the placards that say Video Surveillance. Friend of mine did that when his shop was being broken into regularly and it stopped the break-ins. They're not real cameras but the dumb criminals don't know that. You can do that for $50 while you take your time putting together a good system.

I use ADT. I know many people talk trash about them, but they're good. Spend the money and let them do the work and you'll have a real nice system. They use Honeywell products.
    You make the lights come on and we make them go off.

Quote Originally Posted by mgookin View Post
    As a temporary measure, go get some of the dummy cameras with a 9V battery and a red light and some of the placards that say Video Surveillance. Friend of mine did that when his shop was being broken into regularly and it stopped the break-ins. They're not real cameras but the dumb criminals don't know that. You can do that for $50 while you take your time putting together a good system.

I use ADT. I know many people talk trash about them, but they're good. Spend the money and let them do the work and you'll have a real nice system. They use Honeywell products.
    If you use ADT you aren't bothering to consider small businesses that offer a personal touch. And are handing your money over to a large private equity firm. most ADT work I come across is subpar, IMO

Are you computer savvy enough to set static IPs, forward ports etc?

If so Milestone Husky or an Exacq Una appliance (NVR). If not you may want to stick with a plug and play set up such as Flir or Hikvision. My personal choice for cameras is Axis, Bosch, Arecont, Vivotek....all much more expensive than Flir. Panasonic, Samsung and Digital Watchdog also make good cameras, Digital Watchdog has a good user interface on their NVRs
    I'd probably be better off sticking to the plug and play I think. After all I'm just a dumb electrician. I've been looking at the Honeywell lyric system you suggested and seems pretty straightforward and looks to be something I could install myself. How does the alarm monitoring work on those. Does Honeywell offer a monitoring service? And would they monitor it if I installed it myself instead on a authorized dealer?

Quote Originally Posted by mgookin View Post

I actually put up a couple placards but didn't seem to scare them much. They even busted out my security lighting over the door this last time. Nothing worse then a thief!