Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 2017 NEC PDF or EBook

Quote Originally Posted by Hertz Hound View Post
    I agree that the tables are hard to navigate with the ebook. My biggest complaint is that there is no back button. How can you hyper link an article number and leave
    you no way to get back easily? If I remember the folio view had a back button.

I like it over the PDF because the bookmarks do go beyond just the section level. It is hyper linked. And it opens where you left off, even when you open it on a different device.

It it loads slow on an iPhone 5. Much faster on an iPad Air. Next time I want to try the app. I almost want to buy and old version of the app, because it's cheaper, just to try it.
    No back button sounds like a problem with the app you are reading it with more then the source.

I view my 2014 E book with "Inkling" which on my PC is via a web browser - just click on browsers "back" button and you go back to previous page. I do have android Inkling app on my phone though I haven't used it a lot. Will use it when I need to but in general hate using that small of a screen to view something that was initially formatted for "full page" sizes.

I will have to try Inkling, because I haven't figured out how to use it on a PC yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Hertz Hound View Post
    I will have to try Inkling, because I haven't figured out how to use it on a PC yet.
    Which (year) code are you talking about, and where did you purchase it from? I purchased my 2014 E book from NFPA website. It told me to go to inkling create a user account and my book would be available there, I don't know if there was any other choice of viewer I could have used or not.

Does anyone know if the NFPA has a deal for a bulk purchase of the 2017 NEC ebooks? I'd like to purchase it for 10 iPads but don't really want to spend full price for each. It doesn't say on their website, but it says the purchased version can be used on up 3 devices. Anyone know can they be used all at the same time?

Also, I'd be interested to hear any input on using the ebook on an iPad.

Or does anyone know a good place to get a great price on 10 paperback copies of the 2017 NEC?

Quote Originally Posted by MNSparky View Post
    Does anyone know if the NFPA has a deal for a bulk purchase of the 2017 NEC ebooks? I'd like to purchase it for 10 iPads but don't really want to spend full price for each. It doesn't say on their website, but it says the purchased version can be used on up 3 devices. Anyone know can they be used all at the same time?

Or does anyone know a good place to get a great price on 10 paperback copies of the 2017 NEC?
    Don't know what changes are from 2014 to 2017. I know I can have 2014 open on multiple devices at the same time - it is web browser based and all you need is user name and password for your account it is registered with. I sometimes have it open in two browser windows or tabs just to be able to quickly go back and forth from one place to another. Maybe have 310.15 open in one and chapter 9 open in another when sizing raceways/conductors.

Quote Originally Posted by MNSparky View Post

Does it have to be the E-book version instead of the pdf?
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    Which (year) code are you talking about, and where did you purchase it from? I purchased my 2014 E book from NFPA website. It told me to go to inkling create a user account and my book would be available there, I don't know if there was any other choice of viewer I could have used or not.
    OK, so it's been a while.

I purchased it through the NFPA website. I went to both the App store and the play store and downloaded the NFPA e library app. Signed in with my NFPA account, and I am able to read the 2017 NEC codebook on an ipad, iphone and Galaxy tablet. I have not figured out how to read it in a web browser. I have done web searches and came up with nothing. I have signed into the NFPA web site to see if I could view something there.....nothing. I have tried itunes on the PC..... nothing. I have tried Calibre......nothing. I haven't tried Inkling, because the email that I received didn't mention setting up an account with them.

So has anybody been able to read the 2017 ebook on a PC. If so how??????

Never mind, I figured it out.

Go to NFPA. Sign in and go to your profile. Go to your "My e books". Copy the link for the book and past it into your e-reader. Since I just downloaded Calibre on my PC, I used that. I could have also chosen to open in e-reader, and chose the one I had installed.

Ok quick review. Much faster navigation than the iphone or tablet. Maybe it is just the layout in Calibre, but it is very close to the same navigation as the old Folio View. I have the hyper links with a back button. A full table of contents that can stay open on the side. Much better than a PDF.

Can the e-book be used without Internet access?
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Just checked the PC. Yes it can work without internet access. It was downloaded into my Calibre library folder under my documents. 5MB. I unplugged my phone line to the computer and it had no problem opening the book. I know on my iphone and tablet it has worked without an internet connection. The only thing I noticed there is that it doesn't sync with the page I left off at when switching devices.