Can I hardwire or do I need a male plug ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritelec

Hi

I'm wiring up some equipment for a pool

I have a filter and heater off the same 240v circuit
I also have a 120v circuit for a receptacle and pool light

The poolman mounted a ionizer. It has a switch to toggle either 240v or
120v. It's feed is a 18 gauge sjw chord. It also has an on off switch.

Can I hard wire this into my 240v 20 amp pump circ or 120v 20 amp receptacle light circ.
or would I have to change the wiring method or chord to 12's or add a
Male plug to the 18 gauge and plug it in.

Thank you

ritelec

Sorry. I don't know. It was mounted with the wire dangling. I think it's meant to have a chord cap installed so I picked up a 120v to plug it in and be done with it.
Just wondering/considering the hard wire and what smaller gauge wire would be permissible. If it were .

Thank you

StarCat

Industrial Engineering Tech
Occupation
Imdustrial Engineering Technician - HVACR Electrical and Mechanical Systems
Your filter pump and you heating unit whether gas fired or electric are not supposed to be on a shared circuit. Those are 2 separate loads requiring 2 separate protective devices.

StarCat

Industrial Engineering Tech
Occupation
Imdustrial Engineering Technician - HVACR Electrical and Mechanical Systems
Separate appliances

Separate appliances

Your filter pump and you heating unit whether gas fired or electric are not supposed to be on a shared circuit. Those are 2 separate loads requiring 2 separate protective devices.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.

is this for special types of spa's? my manufactured spa is all electric, pumps and heater all on one 50A(service panel) + 50A GFI(spa panel).

Sorry. I don't know. It was mounted with the wire dangling. I think it's meant to have a chord cap installed so I picked up a 120v to plug it in and be done with it.
Just wondering/considering the hard wire and what smaller gauge wire would be permissible. If it were .

Thank you
what UL listing does the cord have? smaller gauge wires used in hard wire doesnt seem to be issue, like in a junction box, or even direct to breaker as long as the wire is within the wire gauge range specified by the breaker. in my view, hard wire poses less risk than a plug in a receptacle. i have similar "issue" with sump pump, it came with cord w/ plug on end, i would like to hard wire it, but an outlet will suffice, however, i will see if i can use some silicone grease to help keep water and dirt out of the plug, because once i plug items into the outlet those items will stay there for a long time.

Last edited:

ritelec

We're does it say I can't feed to different loads with one circuit?
Done all the time.

growler

What does the manufacturers instructions say ?
Sorry. I don't know. It was mounted with the wire dangling. I think it's meant to have a chord cap installed so I picked up a 120v to plug it in and be done with it. Just wondering/considering the hard wire and what smaller gauge wire would be permissible. If it were .Thank you
I have nothing good to say about pool installers so I won't say anything. The instructions are normally the first thing they throw away. When dealing with a pool I make sure that I get the installation instructions and when I'm finished I leave them with the owner (for future use). With some pools you can down load these installation instructions. All pool equipment is not created equal, the manufacturer will provide instructions.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
I would hope a gas pool heater would not require an individual circuit -- terrible waste for such a small load.

Status
Not open for further replies.