Receptacle outlets installed on metal shelving in big box stores...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjs

Hello,

Looking for advice on installing a receptacle outlet to metal shelving in a big box store...
The customer is currently using an extension cord plugged into a receptacle outlet that is mounted about 6 feet off the floor behind an end cap display that is bolted to the floor and has been told the extension cord has to be removed because it can't serve as a permanent way to get power. Since it requires climbing into the shelving to plug and unplug the cord I've be asked to mount a box near the outside of the rack....
This shelving is the type found in warehouses and large hardware stores.

I have no clue what NEC rules would apply here other than the 180VA (which I need to review as well)

Thanks for any help,
Chris

mgookin

And require them to permanently fix (bolt) the shelves to the floor. You don't want fork lifts or pallet jacks (or interior decorators) to move the shelving around causing problems with your connections.

It's your name on it when that wiring gets beat up and energizes those shelves.

fmtjfw

Hello,

Looking for advice on installing a receptacle outlet to metal shelving in a big box store...
The customer is currently using an extension cord plugged into a receptacle outlet that is mounted about 6 feet off the floor behind an end cap display that is bolted to the floor and has been told the extension cord has to be removed because it can't serve as a permanent way to get power. Since it requires climbing into the shelving to plug and unplug the cord I've be asked to mount a box near the outside of the rack....

I have no clue what NEC rules would apply here other than the 180VA (which I need to review as well)

Thanks for any help,
Chris

The 180VA is for planning purposes only. The actual load on the receptacle can be its rating. (more or less)

iwire

Staff member
Hello,

Thanks for any help,
Chris

Typical work we do for Lowes, Home Depot etc.

MC cable attached to the shelving units with MC one hole clips and Tek screws. Boxes used are bell boxes as they don't have KOs that fall out. Stainless steel plates so they don't break and use high quality receptacles so they last.

The drop from the trusses above down to the shelving unit is done with MC cable tie wrapped to a piece of aircraft cable secured to the truss above and the shelving below.

It looks kind of tacky but it works well, is safe and exactly what Lowes specifies us to do. The advantage of the MC cable drop is that it flexes if hit, unlike a conduit which bends.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
the HD i was in last night uses what looks like BX that has wide flat metal connectors on their ends, looked similar to a db25 connector. i dont know the actual name for the connector, but the sections were daisy-chained to extend the end point (outlet in what i saw).

iwire

Staff member
the HD i was in last night uses what looks like BX that has wide flat metal connectors on their ends, looked similar to a db25 connector. i dont know the actual name for the connector, but the sections were daisy-chained to extend the end point (outlet in what i saw).

It's a manufactured wiring system (see article 604) made of MC. Flat connectors mean it's made by lithonia, round connectors are another brand.

When doing a lot of work in the store Lowes or HD will supply these cables to the EC but for small jobs that is a hassle and we just use standard MC.

cjs

Thanks for all the great info. There will be kids in the store so I'm thinking a GFCI and/or childproof receptacle might me in order?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Thanks for all the great info. There will be kids in the store so I'm thinking a GFCI and/or childproof receptacle might me in order?
TR may depend on how high the receptacle will be mounted. I would be concerned about nuisance trips of a GFCI depending on just what is likely to be plugged in. Advertising signs? Floor polishers?

iwire

Staff member

No NEC requirements for either items. I know Lowes does not do either inside the store.

However we work for a large supermarket chain that specifies TR outlets down low on the sales floor

Status
Not open for further replies.