Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Insulated Throat EMT Connectors and 300.4(G)

Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    I've used these without an external plastic bushing on some larger EMT runs and found that the internal insulated throat didn't survive the rope and nose of the cable coming through it. Typically they popped right out and if you were lucky they didn't break and could be reinstalled.
    Well, thank goodness for split ground bushings. That is, if avoiding repulling the wire saves half an hour or more for two guys it would be worth it.

I don't know that any plastic bushings is actually designed to survive the friction of a rope or conductors pulled across them with any resistance at all.
    Its the installers job to keep this from happening when the wire starts to comes out of the raceway.

The plastic bushing is more to protect the conductor from the edge of the connector once the conductors are installed that may be sharply bent over the edge.

Wire guage smaller than #4 is more flexible and not as prone being damaged from the rounded edge of an uninsulated fitting.

But that's just my opinion.

JAP.

Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    I've used these without an external plastic bushing on some larger EMT runs and found that the internal insulated throat didn't survive the rope and nose of the cable coming through it. Typically they popped right out and if you were lucky they didn't break and could be reinstalled.
    I agree they are compliant, but for the same reason you just mentioned, I always use a threaded bushing anyway where required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by jaggedben View Post
    Well, thank goodness for split ground bushings. That is, if avoiding repulling the wire saves half an hour or more for two guys it would be worth it.
    We recently had an inspector question the use of those bushings and he implied that they were probably installed after the conductors were pulled in and therefore the condcutors may have possibly been damaged during the pull.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

I always do but is there actually a requirement for a bushings to be installed prior to a pull?

JAP>

Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jap View Post
    I always do but is there actually a requirement for a bushings to be installed prior to a pull?

JAP>
    300 something, something requires conduits to be installed as a complete system before pulling wires, that would include required bushings. I leave them off at times because they get trashed by the pulling rope.
    Once in a while you get shown the light
    In the strangest of places if you look at it right. Robert Hunter

I used to have a set of steel bushing that got used during pulling so they wouldn't get destroyed. Then I changed them out for plastic once the wire pull was done.
    Tim
    Master Electrician
    New England
    Yesterday's Technology at Tomorrow's Prices

Quote Originally Posted by tkb View Post
    I used to have a set of steel bushing that got used during pulling so they wouldn't get destroyed. Then I changed them out for plastic once the wire pull was done.
    Ditto.

Is there any where in the NEC where insulated throat or plastic bushings are required on smaller than #4 wire for branch circuit wiring?
    I have an inspector giving me verbal correction that I need insulated throats on all my connectors, i.e. 4S boxes with #12 wire in 1/2" EMT.
    I asked him for the code section but he just says it's in the code, I cant find anything.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by heybud View Post
    Is there any where in the NEC where insulated throat or plastic bushings are required on smaller than #4 wire for branch circuit wiring?
    I have an inspector giving me verbal correction that I need insulated throats on all my connectors, i.e. 4S boxes with #12 wire in 1/2" EMT.
    I asked him for the code section but he just says it's in the code, I cant find anything.

Thanks
    EMT connectors do not require bushings for conductors smaller than #4. He won't find a code section because he's incorrect.

Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted