2014 NEC Pool Bonding Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

mister223

I have been searching and asking all over for answers but, I have gotten so many different ones I am now more confused. In my area pools are not very popular so we don't often wire them. The pool in question is a in ground metal frame vinyl lined pool. What exactly are the bonding requirements? Can the metal mesh in the pool deck be used as the bonding grid? Any help is greatly appreciated. They are pouring on Monday so I want to make sure I have a great bond in place. Thanks in advance.

mister223

I have read it and am just asking because, I have talked to other electricians who seem to interpret it differently. I am just trying to get input, from electricians who are more experienced in pool installations. So I know I am bonding correctly. I have no direct AHJ in the town of install to ask either. Thanks

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
As with most Code issues, you may get different opinions. Locally we allow the mesh to serve as the equipotential bond if the sections are tied together (most the contractors install a #8 bare loop regardless).
You would still be required to bond 4 equally spaced points on the shell, wet niche lighting, metal supports for any steps/ladders/diving board, the pool pump, etc.

mister223

Thanks Augie that's how I interpreted it but, wanted some reassurance before "it was in concrete". I look forward to using and hopefully contributing to the forum in area's I am more versed. Thanks again.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.