Office Panic Alarm

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpk

I have a request to install a panic button in a receptionists area that would signal a combination of strobes and possibly an audible alarm in an adjacent room. There is no engineering/or plan yet, just a saftey coordinator that will ok the plan I come up with. Anybody done similar intalls, any good reccomended products, Thanks in advance.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
We actually have one in our office. I'm not sure how ours in tied in but it's silent here and goes straight to PD next door.

I think you could easily make one with off the shelf products.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
If you decide to re-purpose an old fire alarm horn/strobe for the notification, make sure you don't set it up for temporal 3 and remove anything on the device(s) that says "Fire".

nhfire77

I have a request to install a panic button in a receptionists area that would signal a combination of strobes and possibly an audible alarm in an adjacent room. There is no engineering/or plan yet, just a saftey coordinator that will ok the plan I come up with. Anybody done similar intalls, any good reccomended products, Thanks in advance.

Liability concerns me, I would install a burglar alarm that is monitored and has outputs. If they really don't need monitoring, still just use a burglar panel and UL listed switches (hold up buttons). They make under desk push buttons for use by hand or foot, that can be concealed.

A wireless panic pendant/ button can be used in conjunction with most burglar alarms, which might be desirable if they are not always sitting at the desk

I would recommend the switch, contact or 'button' be connected to a UL recognized Burglar Alarm, Holdup Alarm, or Access Control System that provides logging, monitoring, latch-till-cleared, and independent testing of inputs and annunciator functions. I would recommend the 'button' be connected to an input of such system that uses a current loop monitor that can detect circuit tamper and circuit open/short fault conditions. I would 'recommend' that the alarm outputs of a UL recognized Burglar Alarm, Holdup Alarm, or Access Control System be used to actuate the annunciators such as strobes and alarms. I would 'recommend' that the alarm outputs of such a system would have an alarm bypass and test capabilities. I would recommend that the system have a logged auto-dialer function programmed to call , in order, building security, the facility manager and then local law enforcement. I would recommend that your contract include the delivery to and the acknowledgement of receipt by the customer of a manual for the said system along with the instructions that the customer is to monthly test such system. I would be extremely leery should your customer's 'safety coordinator' not require UL standard 681 for such system.

I am being pedantic here because I worry about your customer providing their receptionist with an illusion of safety without actually providing a legally recognized or functionally certified form of safety and then you, the installer, being blamed after an incident.

UL 681 Standard for Installation and Classification of Burglar and Holdup Alarm Systems
UL 1076 Proprietary Burglar Alarm Systems
UL 294 Access Control Systems

Last edited:

mgookin

I'd suggest a 24 vdc power supply going to a momentary pushbuttion switch under the desk (doorbell switches are common) then to a latching relay. Tap the button and relay closes and holds. You'll need a reset which will be another momentary switch in another location to open the relay when the adverse event is over.

You'll need a power circuit going from the relay to your notification appliances. Relay closes -- appliances on.

24vdc should serve you well - very common. You can use the same power supply for the switching as well as powering the notification appliances.

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
I'd suggest a 24 vdc power supply going to a momentary pushbuttion switch under the desk (doorbell switches are common) then to a latching relay. Tap the button and relay closes and holds. You'll need a reset which will be another momentary switch in another location to open the relay when the adverse event is over.

You'll need a power circuit going from the relay to your notification appliances. Relay closes -- appliances on.

24vdc should serve you well - very common. You can use the same power supply for the switching as well as powering the notification appliances.

And I'd also suggest a UPS for your system. Loss of power may be the time when you want this system the most.

What supervises this cobbled together safety system?

Like others all I see is a huge liability, this is not a door bell, or end of shift buzzer. This is being put in place to protect people.

I would go with a burger panel or nothing.

mgookin

What supervises this cobbled together safety system?

Like others all I see is a huge liability, this is not a door bell, or end of shift buzzer. This is being put in place to protect people.

I would go with a burger panel or nothing.

I didn't think he was talking about the federal reserve bank.

Seemed more like when irate customer is not nice to sweet judy at reception, sweet judy taps a button and 15 Bruno's come out from behind closed doors to give customer incentive to settle down.

If it's that critical, call an alarm company.

cowboyjwc

Staff member

Seemed more like when irate customer is not nice to sweet judy at reception, sweet judy taps a button and 15 Bruno's come out from behind closed doors to give customer incentive to settle down.

If it's that critical, call an alarm company.
That's what I was thinking too.

iwire

Staff member

Neither did I.

Pretty much what I pictured as well.

But in my opinion as soon as you install it and claim it is for employee safety you will be taking on liability if Judy gets her ass kicked by the irate customer.

Nearly 2 million American workers report having been victims of workplace violence each year. Unfortunately, many more cases go unreported.
https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/workplaceviolence/

It happens more than we think.

The OP is free to do as he pleases but I would go burg panel or nothing. Its not like a burg panel is a huge deal or that costly. By the time you buy the parts to make you own relays, resets etc and add a UPS to it I bet you would be half way there in costs. Don't forget, a burg panel has built-in battery back up.

To each their own.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
give the guest the buttons and the phone, protect the worker

"what? what? i cant hear you".................. click

IMG_0684.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.