Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LED lamps in an MRI room

Quote Originally Posted by iwire View Post
    MRI time costs thousands per hour, I would sell them $400 fixtures all day long.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgookin View Post
    +1
    +2
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by woodduder View Post
    I think I will have them call the GE rep that sold the MRI so he can discuss with them. I'll let him tell them what they need to have. Thanks for the replies.
    You are welcome. Sounds like a good way to avoid being in the middle between the two.

MRI manufacturers may well go overboard on some items, based on earlier generation machines (or even contradict the NEC, as with language about independent ground rods), but in general you cannot go wrong by following their instructions, while not asking could lead to major grief.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldDigger View Post

Ordinary incandescent lights will not emit RF, but they can produce a large enough magnetic field from the filament to be a problem IF that field is varying.
    They will emit RF if they are put on a dimmer, and many MRI rooms are equipped with dimmers. So the MRI dimmers generally always put out DC.

And one problem with providing straight 60 Hz., 120V AC is that the filament won't last long because it will vibrate due to the 60 Hz. being applied in the presence of a strong magnetic field.

FWIW,

I went this route in a garage I am building. I was able to get the 4' T8 LED lamps for around $16 CDN per bulb. So for each fixture- $32 for bulbs and $50 for a cheapo fixture puts me under $100 a fixture which is decent for LED.
    There are a few options you can go if you decide to go this route. Some of the LED lights have the option of running off the existing ballast (which nullifies the energy efficiency offered by the LED somewhat because of losses in ballast) or you can get LED's that require you to remove the ballast and wire tombstones directly to 120. Some of the LED tubes allow you to rotate the end pins to aim the tubes in certain directions as well.

The market has been flooded with LED products, so depending where you buy from make sure you still have the UL certifications.

Quote Originally Posted by shoon View Post
    FWIW,

I went this route in a garage I am building. I was able to get the 4' T8 LED lamps for around $16 CDN per bulb. So for each fixture- $32 for bulbs and $50 for a cheapo fixture puts me under $100 a fixture which is decent for LED.
    There are a few options you can go if you decide to go this route. Some of the LED lights have the option of running off the existing ballast (which nullifies the energy efficiency offered by the LED somewhat because of losses in ballast) or you can get LED's that require you to remove the ballast and wire tombstones directly to 120. Some of the LED tubes allow you to rotate the end pins to aim the tubes in certain directions as well.

The market has been flooded with LED products, so depending where you buy from make sure you still have the UL certifications.
    And just what does your garage have in common with an MRI room in a medical facility?

Quote Originally Posted by GoldDigger View Post
    And just what does your garage have in common with an MRI room in a medical facility?
    Hey, maybe he provides MRIs as a hobby.

LED in MRI room

Last one we did the Architect said NO to LED. He's done about 30 MRI rooms. We installed EFI/RF filters for all the lights. These were 65R30. All were located away from the magnet.
    Interesting work if you can get an MRI room.

Quote Originally Posted by iwire View Post
    MRI time costs thousands per hour, I would sell them $400 fixtures all day long.
    No kidding.,..: I had one this year and it was almost $5k for 90 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

MIL spec, medical grade or laboratory apparatus accessories cost many times more because of lower volume, different sales network and more hands on verification requirement. The high cost of things going wrong means they are way more likely to make factory recommended purchase no questions asked.

It could be a vendor built kit but someone has to pay for research, shopping and testing. If they only sell a handful a year $400 is a fair price.

24v or 12v LED tapes are usually simple. 3 or 6 LEDs in series with a resistor. They should be free of magnetic materials.
    They would just wire the same path as the existing incandescent bulbs and terminate to an old school design unsophisticated linear constant current power supply. Some standard PWM dimming LED ballast make the LED strips into an effective RFI emission antenna and don't even pass FCC regulations for home use. Current reduction types spray less interference but if it uses switching power supply, the noise level can be too much. A linear power supply uses analog circuits to operate a transistor like a big rheostat. It's not very efficient but it produces a very clean power.

Standard light fixtures use chassis and fasteners that stick to magnet.
    Last edited by Electric-Light; 01-18-17 at 02:07 AM.

LED installed in MRI

We had led light installed last year. They works goog so far