Attic light Switch and Light required?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkgrady

I just had a builder tell me he wants a light in the attic and a switch next to the pull down stairs to the attic. While I agree it is a good idea he indicated that the electrical inspector required it on another job in his town.

Is an attic light an NEC requirement? If an attic light is installed does the switch have to be at the pulldown stairway? There is an air handler in the attic so I assume a service receptacle is required. The owner would prefer to just have a pull chain fixture in the attic. That way people won't turn the switch on downstairs and leave it on for years.

Ragin Cajun

Believe it is required, but don't have my NEC handy.

As for the light switch, simply put is near the stairs and use a switch with a pilot light showing it's "ON". That's what I do. (And have at my own house.)

RC

mkgrady

210.70(A)(3)? (2011 NEC)

Thanks. It is also there in 2014. The lighting outlet is required in these spaces (for storage and equipment) but it does not require a separate switch. The point of control must be where you enter the space so I see that as a pull chain on an attic ceiling with a string hanging down where you can reach it as you go up the pulldown stairs. The light also has to be near the equipment but if that is near the stairs a porcelain keyless fixture should meet code. Anybody disagree?

mkgrady

Believe it is required, but don't have my NEC handy.

As for the light switch, simply put is near the stairs and use a switch with a pilot light showing it's "ON". That's what I do. (And have at my own house.)

RC

Now that I see the code requirement I agree the light is required but does the switch have to be at the lower level of the pulldown stairs or can a pull chain hanging from the attic fixture suffice?

cowboyjwc

Staff member
At least one point of control shall be at the usual point of entry to these spaces. So I would say that if you have pull down stairs that you could put a switch just as you enter the attic space.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I have seen pull down stairs that have a switch on them that automatically turns the light on when the stairs are down.

Do you know if the switch is listed for this purpose? So many "good ideas" don't have listed equipment to implement them.

JDB3

As posted before, I put the switch in the attic where it may be accessed upon entering the attic from the stairs. The pull chain light "ain't" what they use to be.:happysad:

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
The lighting outlet is required in these spaces (for storage and equipment) but it does not require a separate switch.
Agreed. The code specifically says the switch can be part of the outlet.
The point of control must be where you enter the space so I see that as a pull chain on an attic ceiling with a string hanging down where you can reach it as you go up the pulldown stairs.
Agreed again. You do not enter the attic while standing at the foot of the ladder.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
As posted before, I put the switch in the attic where it may be accessed upon entering the attic from the stairs. The pull chain light "ain't" what they use to be.:happysad:

That's for sure. I have two in my basement. Like clockwork, they fail every 18-24 months. Faster, when your 8-year old tries to see if he can make the end of the pull hang itself in the mare's nest between the floor joists by letting the pull snap back :roll:.

mkgrady

Agreed. The code specifically says the switch can be part of the outlet.
Agreed again. You do not enter the attic while standing at the foot of the ladder.
Thanks for that answer charlie. Ideas an opinions are appreciated but nothing beats a precise answer to a question like you provided.

mkgrady

Where please.

210.70(A)(3)
(3) StorageorEquipmentSpaces. Forattics,underfloorspaces, utility rooms, and basements, at least one lighting outlet contain- ing a switch or controlled by a wall switch shall be installed where these spaces are used for storage or contain equipment requiring servicing. At least one point of control shall be at the usual point of entry to these spaces. The lighting outlet shall be provided at or near the equipment requiring servicing.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You can install a porcelain pull chain at the top of the stairs within reach of the stair. Usually I install a switch up in the attic that can be reached while on the stairs. Sometimes it means running a board down from the rafters to mount the switch

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You can install a porcelain pull chain at the top of the stairs within reach of the stair. Usually I install a switch up in the attic that can be reached while on the stairs. Sometimes it means running a board down from the rafters to mount the switch

I usually do the same and hopefully to switch is within 25' of the HVAC equipment so that I can install the receptacle in the same box.

Status
Not open for further replies.