tell me it isn't so

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dolfan

I can find slip stick, they say the Company went under. I loved that stuff for service work. Is there something similar on the market? Thanks

mivey

Probably a jiffy clip.

The term is also used for a Hubbell Grip-All but since Hubbell hasn't gone anywhere...

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I can find slip stick, they say the Company went under. I loved that stuff for service work. Is there something similar on the market? Thanks

As I recall this was wire lube that came in a paper roll tube, sort of like a giant crayon. You rubbed the end on the conductors for small/light wire pulls. From back in the day when we used TW wire. I don't recall seeing this for many years.

RichB

Occupation
Electrician/Electrical Inspector
I am surprised that none of you "more experienced"(read older) engineer types haven't responded to this so I must --

THIS is a slip stick :angel:

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I am surprised that none of you "more experienced"(read older) engineer types haven't responded to this so I must -- THIS is a slip stick
I thought about taking and posting a photo of the slide rule (i.e., "slip stick") that I have at my desk. But then my OSHA membership has lapsed, and I would need to pay their dues before I could post such a photo. You are familiar with OSHA, aren't you? The "Organization for Silly Humor Adicts." :lol:

RichB

Occupation
Electrician/Electrical Inspector
:lol:Absolutly Charlie!!!--I grew up on a small farm in Montana--and some of the OSHA stuff I have seen that pertains to that environment these days--- :jawdrop:----unbelievable!!

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I am surprised that none of you "more experienced"(read older) engineer types haven't responded to this so I must --

THIS is a slip stick :angel:

I still have mine somewhere, by cracky!

Dolfan

As I recall this was wire lube that came in a paper roll tube, sort of like a giant crayon. You rubbed the end on the conductors for small/light wire pulls. From back in the day when we used TW wire. I don't recall seeing this for many years.

you are correct sir. on the outside of it, it said "electricians friend". I feel old right now, going on 30 years of puling wire and thinking people just know what I'm taking about. In my opinion, it was the best for small wire pulling jobs. I have go to find something similar to keep on the trucks.

Besoeker

I also have the manual and the belt case. :)
I had/have a Pickett & Ecklel. Dual scale, log log, folded scale.........all singing all dancing.

Well, slide rules worked by using logarithmic scales. When I was going to what you would consider high school we use log tables. Convert to logarithmic and add.
That's what slide rules do.

Napier is your man.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
you are correct sir. on the outside of it, it said "electricians friend". I feel old right now, going on 30 years of puling wire and thinking people just know what I'm taking about. In my opinion, it was the best for small wire pulling jobs. I have go to find something similar to keep on the trucks.
Wow, we have thoughts ranging from wire lube to slide rules. Yeah, I'm old enough to remember slip stick and slide rules too.
But for the record, the 2 are not related.:)

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Before the 1950's, a 'calculator' was usually a person that did calculations. They might have used an adding machine, though.
When Friden introduced a machine that automatically did multiplication and division by repeated addition and subtraction, they called it a calculator. Purely mechanical and motor driven. Same for the Curta "pepper mill" that used a hand crank.

Status
Not open for further replies.