DBoone

Occupation
General Contractor
No cover on junction boxes

Probably had too many wires in a wire nut

Not at least a 1/4" of sheathing inside a box

Parallel conductors smaller than 1/0

Nom Deplume

I can't think of any instances that I have violated the code.
I guess I am just an awesome electrician. :lol:

Maybe that's my Alzheimer's talking.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
You guys know that there is no such thing as anonymity on the internet, right? Just checking... :D

darekelec

Every day many times.

We do not have rough in inspection so nobody staples AC cable around here.

Nowadays they get strict here but 10 years ago;
no appliance disconnects, no pigtails or sg recepts, no fan boxes, mixed breaker types, space to plaster ring more than 1/4" (up to 2 inches), light fixtures not properly grounded, etc.

And I am one of the better ones.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
We are really bad electricians. I think one of the moderators should move this thread to Campfire Chat so that the general public can't read it. :angel:

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Years (about 18) ago I installed all three legs of 277/480 Wye in the same switch box without a divider. i didn't know it was wrong. A few months later I was casually reading the code as I was wont to do, and came across 404.8 (B) I could walk up to that switch box today and point it out.

I take this to mean you have to have a barrier between adjacent switches, not between individual phases on the same switch.

Last edited:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I take this to mean you have to have a barrier between adjacent switches, not between individual phases on the same switch.
The language in [2011] seems pretty clear that it only applies to the voltages between adjacent devices, not within a single device.
The assumption, I guess, is that UL takes care of voltage separation between terminals of and inside a single device, but that the device is only tested for installation into a box where the adjacent metal surfaces are assumed to be limited in voltage with respect to ground.

GerryB

We all have done installation that have not been up to code but they were not dangerous either.

I am guilty of the following:

• used self tap sheet metal screws for bonding 12AWG to 4s box.
  • Supporting a conduit from another
  • Box fill and conduit fill violations knowing the existing circuits do not have full load
  • using drywall screws to mount residential load centers
Hey Edward, I still use sheet rock screws to mount panels, but now that you mention it I did get called on it one time and had to switch to like a deck screw that wouldn't rust. Is that supposed to be the reason? Now outside for the staps I don't use sheet rock screws.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Hey Edward, I still use sheet rock screws to mount panels, but now that you mention it I did get called on it one time and had to switch to like a deck screw that wouldn't rust. Is that supposed to be the reason? Now outside for the staps I don't use sheet rock screws.

where does the code say you cannot use a drywall screw to mount something?

fmtjfw

The language in [2011] seems pretty clear that it only applies to the voltages between adjacent devices, not within a single device.
The assumption, I guess, is that UL takes care of voltage separation between terminals of and inside a single device, but that the device is only tested for installation into a box where the adjacent metal surfaces are assumed to be limited in voltage with respect to ground.

And if the switch has those internal barriers:

404.8 Accessibility and Grouping.
(C) Multipole Snap Switches.
A multipole, general-use snap switch shall not be permitted to be fed from more than a single circuit unless it is listed and marked as a two-circuit
or three-circuit switch.

Informational Note: See 210.7 for disconnect requirements where more than one circuit supplies a switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.