Dedicated circuit for Refrigerator code required?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I know nothing explicitly requires a kitchen dwelling refrigerator to be dedicated (it can be tied to SABC), however would usage and listing indirectly mandate it? I ask because I have a fridge spec where the manufacturers instructions in the use and care manual call for a dedicated circuit. In theory, the NEC would require this be dedicated because the instructions say so?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Don't get me started on those instructions. I have wired a small wine cooler that literally was under 100 watts, if I remember correctly, and it called for an individual branch circuit. This is the manufacturer trying to protect their equipment to the nth degree... It is getting so that we will need 60-80 circuits for a mid size house with specs like that.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
There is this:

110.3(B) Installation and Use. Listed or labeled equipment
shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions
included in the listing or labeling.

Exactly what I was referring to. By the looks of it the manufacturers instructions rule over the NEC in this case.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
IMO I think they mean well for a full size fridge, but others are bogus. A wine cooler? Common:rant::lol:

A full sized fridge is still only about 6 or 7 amps. They are just trying to minimize their problems by requiring a separate circuit

ASG

Occupation
Electrical Engineer, PE
A full sized fridge is still only about 6 or 7 amps. They are just trying to minimize their problems by requiring a separate circuit

More like they are trying to minimize liability. Cooler broke and ruined your wine? Well you had something else plugged in with it and it doesn't matter that it's irrelevant to the problem because that's enough for us to say you didn't use it as directed so now you've voided our warranty/guarantee.

JDB3

To me, when you wire a residence, you very seldom know the actual appliances that are going in. Like said before, everyone trying to cover their-self. I like the idea of using common (horse) sense {I don't mean to put horses down to our level} ..:happysad:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
To me, when you wire a residence, you very seldom know the actual appliances that are going in. Like said before, everyone trying to cover their-self. I like the idea of using common (horse) sense {I don't mean to put horses down to our level} ..:happysad:

I always get the appliance schedule before we wire the units. The job we are doing now has over $55,000 in appliances and I know they are not the run of the mill units so I need to have that info

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I always get the appliance schedule before we wire the units. The job we are doing now has over $55,000 in appliances and I know they are not the run of the mill units so I need to have that info

Sounds like a cool job:cool:

As for full size units I feel more comfortable on their own since if the SABC goes down you loose the fridge as well. But the rest is just warrantee based.

I know nothing explicitly requires a kitchen dwelling refrigerator to be dedicated (it can be tied to SABC), however would usage and listing indirectly mandate it? I ask because I have a fridge spec where the manufacturers instructions in the use and care manual call for a dedicated circuit. In theory, the NEC would require this be dedicated because the instructions say so?

It would seem to me that a single circuit supplying both the refrigerator and the cooler would, at least semantically, meet both the exception in 210.52(B)Ex.2 of 'individual' and, simultaneously, the manufactures requirement for 'dedicated'. Making the assertion that the circuit is 'dedicated' to refrigeration appliances.

Since neither is defined in article 100 we go to the web:
in?di?vid?u?al
adjective: individual
ded?i?cat?ed
adjective: dedicated
(of a thing) exclusively allocated to or intended for a particular service or purpose.
"investing in dedicated bike lanes will encourage more bicycle commuters"
synonyms:exclusive, custom built
Hence such a circuit is 'separate' as it is discrete from the other SABCs in the kitchen and the circuits is 'dedicated' as it exclusive to a single purpose - that of serving refrigeration equipment.

Last edited:

mwm1752

This may trigger a separate circuit -- 210.23(A) (1) Cord-and-Plug-Connected Equipment Not Fastened in Place. The rating of any one cord-and- plug-connected utilization equipment not fastened in place shall not exceed 80 percent of the branch-circuit ampere rating.
(2) Utilization Equipment Fastened in Place. The total rating of utilization equipment fastened in place, other than luminaires, shall not exceed 50 percent of the branch-circuit ampere rating where lighting units, cord-and-plug-connected utilization equipment not fastened in place, or both, are also supplied.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
This may trigger a separate circuit -- 210.23(A) (1) Cord-and-Plug-Connected Equipment Not Fastened in Place. The rating of any one cord-and- plug-connected utilization equipment not fastened in place shall not exceed 80 percent of the branch-circuit ampere rating.
(2) Utilization Equipment Fastened in Place. The total rating of utilization equipment fastened in place, other than luminaires, shall not exceed 50 percent of the branch-circuit ampere rating where lighting units, cord-and-plug-connected utilization equipment not fastened in place, or both, are also supplied.

But a fridge is considered not fastened in place?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
But a fridge is considered not fastened in place?
Some Sub-Zero and other custom units may be considered fastened in place, yes. But the majority have wheels or slide and are meant to be movable for cleaning and service, as well as to get at the power cord and receptacle behind them. :)

mwm1752

My post was to properly identify a possible condition that addresses the OP.. Look at 220.53 and let me know if it insinuates a range & dryer within the fastened in place type appliances. As for calcs, IMHO "fastened in place" eludes to dedicated space........ would an ice maker water line for the frig define fastened in place?

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
My post was to properly identify a possible condition that addresses the OP.. Look at 220.53 and let me know if it insinuates a range & dryer within the fastened in place type appliances. As for calcs, IMHO "fastened in place" eludes to dedicated space........ would an ice maker water line for the frig define fastened in place?

Imo, a water line requiring plumber tools would be fastened in place but might be wrong on that. Kind of like a cord and plug connected DW?

Status
Not open for further replies.