Main panel bond

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dexie123

250.92(A) requires a bonding jumper on the line side of a conduits entry attached with a bonding bushing. (correct me if I'm wrong).

In my picture the system there is a supply side bonding jumper that goes from the transformer into this main panel and down to the grounding bar. The other green wire goes to the bonding bushing, back through the pipe, and to the transformer. I'm not sure what the inside of the transformer looks like.

So isn't the bonding wire on the bonding bushing suppose to go just the the ground bar inside this panel?

Attachments

• Main panel image ground.JPG
    Main panel image ground.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 0

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The bonding bushing and that unknown jumper are not required. 250.92(A) is for services not panels.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
250.92(A) requires a bonding jumper on the line side of a conduits entry attached with a bonding bushing. (correct me if I'm wrong).

You're wrong. :)

I submitted a proposal to clear this up, which was rejected, but the CMP was willing to state after some prodding that the connection can be on either side of a raceway.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
As George pointed out, the bushing is not required, but if you wish to use one, bonding to the ground bar in the panel should be acceptable.
(normally when I see what the picture indicates, the wire goes to another bond bushing on the other end of the conduit installed because "they said I needed to":D )

Is the bushing to grounding bar wire required to be insulated (green) or is bare acceptable?

Sorry to change subject:angel:

Yes, bare. I assume from your question you are rerouting the bushing bond to the grounding bar?

My question refers to a job I roughed in last week adding a downstream panel next to the main panel in a residence.

I would normally use SER or PVC, but the HO (electrician at a local factory) brought home a RMC nipple, bonding bushings and #2 copper thhn to feed the sub. I bonded from each bushing to each ground bar with #6 bare solid. Was just wondering if for some reason it had to be green insulated.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
To the best of my knowledge, there is no color or insulation requirement for bonding conductors.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
As George pointed out, the bushing is not required, but if you wish to use one, bonding to the ground bar in the panel should be acceptable.
(normally when I see what the picture indicates, the wire goes to another bond bushing on the other end of the conduit installed because "they said I needed to":D )
That is one example of what I meant by green conductors and bond bushings run amok.

jimdavis

As others have pointed out, the bonding bushing is not required in your application. I just wanted to add that this is a very common misinterpretation/misapplication of 250.92, which applies only to service raceways. I see it all the time in panels fed from transformers.

Status
Not open for further replies.