Raintight locknuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephena

I've been to the UL Whitebook category (DWTT Conduit Fittings) and read the section on Raintight Locknuts. It says they are to be used with RMC or IMC, but unless marked on carton can be used with other conduits. My question is if used with PVC can they provide the raintight requirement of 230.54G for overhead survice conductors? A PVC box connector and regular locknut alone doesn't satisfy the 230.54G requirement does it? In the UL Whitebook I see nothing about a box connector being raintight approved only wet location approved

stephena

Raintight Locknuts

Raintight Locknuts

I've been to the UL Whitebook category (DWTT Conduit Fittings) and read the section on Raintight Locknuts. It says they are to be used with RMC or IMC, but unless marked on carton can be used with other conduits. My question is if used with PVC can they provide the raintight requirement of 230.54G for overhead survice conductors? A PVC box connector and regular locknut alone doesn't satisfy the 230.54G requirement does it? In the UL Whitebook I see nothing about a box connector being raintight approved only wet location approved.

* I posted this in education forum first
but that wasn't the best place.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have used it many times with PVC and have not had an issue. Read what the UL book says about hubs. It states the same thing. Now how many meter bases have you seen with a pvc connector in the hub and a 2" pvc mast? They are all over with no issues there also.

stephena

That actually is why I posted this question is because the company I am working for is having us install a myers hub and then connect our TS 2 PVC box connector into the hub. I am researching these raintight locknuts to cut cost. My only thing is it has to be code compliant otherwise it is a lot harder to argue with the inspector. I know PVC is an acceptable servic drop and service entrance wiring method, but I run into the same problem when I come into the top of the meter or panel. If I enter the bottom of the enclosure than non of this applies.

iwire

Staff member

iwire

Staff member
the company I am working for is having us install a myers hub and then connect our TS 2 PVC box connector into the hub.

Technically that should fail inspection due to the listing issues. I do understand it is common and yes I have done it. Just pointing out an inspector could fail it.

On the other hand the sealing washers I mentioned are low cost and identified, if not listed for the purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.