Tamper proof outlets - Testing with with probes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nom Deplume

How about one of these?
It could also come in handy for current measurement of corded loads.
It has probe holes on the end.
http://www.extech.com/instruments/product.asp?catid=30&prodid=114

It is actual test equipment so you will look more professional than using a cube tap.

480172.jpg

• Provides easy and safe measurements of current without the need to cut off the plug and separate the conductors
  • Plugging the power connector into the Line Splitter separates the hot/live conductor from the neutral (and ground)
  • Also features voltage check function

http://www.extech.com/instruments/resources/datasheets/480172.pdf

Last edited:

PetrosA

The problem with any of these safe workarounds (especially the line splitter pictured) is that the newest generation of probes come with insulated tips which make it especially hard to insert them into any kind of device in North America and impossible to use with the test holes in line splitters.

kwired

Electron manager
The problem with any of these safe workarounds (especially the line splitter pictured) is that the newest generation of probes come with insulated tips which make it especially hard to insert them into any kind of device in North America and impossible to use with the test holes in line splitters.

Insulated tip---sounds kind of counterproductive in a situation where conductivity is important;)

PetrosA

Insulated tip---sounds kind of counterproductive in a situation where conductivity is important;)

I know, my bad :) What I'm referring to is that the newest standards for test leads for electrical testing require a max 4mm exposed probe tip. Many testers are now sold with these. Some companies have a retractable design, but others include test leads with permanently insulated tips with only 4mm exposed. It's impossible to test a North American receptacle with these probes, tamper resistant or not.

kwired

Electron manager
I know, my bad :) What I'm referring to is that the newest standards for test leads for electrical testing require a max 4mm exposed probe tip. Many testers are now sold with these. Some companies have a retractable design, but others include test leads with permanently insulated tips with only 4mm exposed. It's impossible to test a North American receptacle with these probes, tamper resistant or not.
Which means more people will be breaking out adapters of some sort that subject them to more exposure so that they can get a reading:roll:

PetrosA

What we need is a plug block with rotating prongs (so you can set it for 15A or 20A 120V or 240V) and three jacks to plug DMM leads into. In fact, I might make something like that :) It won't have the rotating prongs, but oh well.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
What we need is a plug block with rotating prongs (so you can set it for 15A or 20A 120V or 240V) and three jacks to plug DMM leads into. In fact, I might make something like that :) It won't have the rotating prongs, but oh well.

I suppose I will need to just keep a cube tap or other adapter handy , I don't think there will be a large market for such a device.

Status
Not open for further replies.