plugs for conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
i am looking for a specific type of plug, almost like a button to cover some 1/2" pvc conduit. i am putting some conduit under a patio slab so i can snake speaker wires later, but the conduit will be cut flush to the finished slab, i then want to plug/cap the conduit to keep crud out. any suggestions?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Have you looked at bicycle handlebar plugs with expansion wedges?
Or pipe testing plugs that work the same way? You get a secure watertight seal with the latter.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Have you looked at bicycle handlebar plugs with expansion wedges?
Or pipe testing plugs that work the same way? You get a secure watertight seal with the latter.

i have not, but i will. i was hoping to cover the pipe walls so all that you see is a "cap". thanks.

Nom Deplume

The ones for rigid and IMC also fit PVC.

The steel pennys are to install under a metal or plastic bushing on an EMT connector or threaded rigid or IMC.

Last edited:

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
i am looking for a specific type of plug, almost like a button to cover some 1/2" pvc conduit. i am putting some conduit under a patio slab so i can snake speaker wires later, but the conduit will be cut flush to the finished slab, i then want to plug/cap the conduit to keep crud out. any suggestions?

If the plug is temporary, and above finished concrete height - if I understand correctly, you'll cut the pipe flush after the pour - a rubber band and a plastic grocery bag works well.

If the pipe's end is to be set flush with the finished concrete height, I've used several layers of plastic cling wrap and some electrical tape. Once the pour is done and cured, hit the plastic wrap with the heat of a propane torch for a split second and it'll disappear.

SceneryDriver

FionaZuppa

Occupation
last few posts missed my need.

i want to cap the hole after concrete is done and i cut pipe flush, etc. i wont have wire in the conduit right away, etc.

cadpoint

I won't do anything like what's been said!

I'd run pvc up to a threaded female coupling(on one end) to be flush with finish of level concrete!

You could use PVC pipe dope on a threaded coin, or even PVC vinyl tape on the threads of a coin. I'd stuff a rag down the elbow for the pour and remove it afterwards. it will be wet if you don't use the previous described applications.

I'd lash the heck out of it, I don't trust concrete workers, and be there for the pour. It's easy enough to check your elevation with stings or lasers, maybe even a transit.

The threaded coupling give you the option to add another pipe later or even a box, you could even just drill the coin
if you like.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
where can i get the 1/2" npt threaded coins? are these the same as the coin plugs on the aluminum conduit boxes?i could install 1/2" npt and screw in a coin where top of coin will be at finish level of concrete, this way the workers just float right over the coin, should allow me to tap off surface and unscrew coin later, etc. i can then replace coins with fresh ones for finished product, etc.

Last edited:

cadpoint

A supply house will sell you some, they might be in a bag of a few at the box
store. There's ususally at least two in a cast or plastic outside box.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

stub it up a foot and cap it.
when dry, cut it off flush.

the irrigation folks make a plug
that goes inside pvc... put in without
glue.. when time comes to remove,
put a wood screw in, and pull out.

i *always* put pull strings in before the
pour. always.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
ok, i have options, but are there any 1/2" npt coins that have a lip to cover the walls of the PVC tube?

something like this pic

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    903 bytes · Views: 0

kwired

Electron manager
handy hint for finding a raceway that ends flush in a concrete slab - tie a cable tie to the side of your raceway with about a 1/2 to 3/4 inch of the tail end sticking past the to of your raceway. This allows them to run finishing equipment over top instead of having to finish around a raceway the protrudes, yet makes it easy to find if the end is a little too deep. You just have a little whisker sticking out of the finished concrete at your stub location when you come looking for it later.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
I would bet there is a good chance of finding something like that over in the plumbing aisle. But what you have drawn is not flush.

oh, let me clarify, i will set the top of this plug at the top level of the pour, etc. concrete hardens and then i swap out this set for a new set, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.