minimum height for wall mounted lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetlag

Is there a minimum height for wall mounted lights in a stairway ? I see those pretty low in restaurants sometimes . I want to be able to change the bulb without using anything to stand on in the stairway , but I don't want it to low so it will be more chance of getting hit moving furniture and things . Also is there a min. clearance from the ceiling for a wall mounted light that is not enclosed on the top of the fixture ? I know there are restrictions for closets but I don't remember any for walls in rooms and stairways .

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
Well, in the restaurants you speak of their are no limits except if they protrude into the path of egress and so on. The IBC limits projections and so on.

However, being aware that "lamps" (not bulbs) do generate a lot of heat and can cause a fire if placed too close to combustible material...(ala 410.11 and .12) as well as some limitations in 410.10(D) and 680.22(B) just to name a few. However, if you wish to install them down low then well....possibly the manufacturers listing of the products will say something about that (much like the ceiling fan manufacturers do) employing 110.3(B) to come into play.

Those are just some thoughts on the subject

OH....also making sure the proper foot candles are maintained on the stairs will also dictate where and how you put the illumination.

jetlag

Thanks MasterTheNec

Thanks MasterTheNec

There must not be much in the code on that , people would reply . The code requires a light at the top and bottom of the stairs controlled from either location . I plan a midway wall light fixture , I am planning to locate the center of the box 80" above the nose of a step tread and that will put the center about 10" below the staircase that is above . The fixtures I see used for this don't protrude out all at once but taper down close to the wall on the ends . I don't have a fixture yet so I cant say for sure about the clearance . Maybe I should get a fixture before I rough in ? But even then I would have to guess if it violates any codes.

jetlag

Update

Update

I put the height for a wall luminary in yahoo search and saw several that said there is no building or electrical codes that restricts the height for a wall mounted light but the general accepted guide line is to locate the fixture 3/4 of the wall height . For an 8 ft wall that comes out 6 ft . It also said 5 to 6 foot is a norm . Ok that will work great for me and no chance of hassle from the electrical or building inspector . Ha ha

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
There is a building code that will not allow protrusions onto stairways from 6'8" I believe , with the exception being the hand rail etc. IMO, the light fixture must fall above the 6'8" mark

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I knew the projection was for hand rails but I did not see that it was pertinent to fixtures.
It's a hard code section to explain. You could set the center of the fixture at 80" and then if it's a carriage type light with that little part that hangs down, if it extends less than 4" from the wall you're fine if not, you're to low. So it's important that you know the exact fixture that's going in. They do make ADA compliant fixtures and they say so on the box.

kwired

Electron manager
It's a hard code section to explain. You could set the center of the fixture at 80" and then if it's a carriage type light with that little part that hangs down, if it extends less than 4" from the wall you're fine if not, you're to low. So it's important that you know the exact fixture that's going in. They do make ADA compliant fixtures and they say so on the box.
I thought the amount of projection alowed from the wall had to do with interference with egress, what does being ADA compliant have to do with general egress rules? Just asking, I don't deal with these type of codes that much and it just doesn't seem to make any sense to me.

kwired

Electron manager
The code requires a light at the top and bottom of the stairs controlled from either location .
What code you getting that from? It is certainly not NEC. I would tend to think other codes wouldn't put much emphasis on luminaire placement other then if it causes issues with something else - like the mentioned egress interference, otherwise they would mostly be concerned with getting certain illumination levels on certain surfaces - how is generally up to you.

david

What code you getting that from? It is certainly not NEC. I would tend to think other codes wouldn't put much emphasis on luminaire placement other then if it causes issues with something else - like the mentioned egress interference, otherwise they would mostly be concerned with getting certain illumination levels on certain surfaces - how is generally up to you.

The international residential code,

It is not acceptable to just have a fixture at the top landing. If you use the landing principle you also have to have one at the bottom landing. It is commonly said top landing bottom landing or you can have only one light fixture over the section of stairs. So you have two choices of addressing stairway illumination.

This does not apply to exterior stairs or stairs from the basement to the exterior

Edit
I should add that the building department will not except a light fixture at the top landing if a door closing will cut off the light from the stairway as when there is a basement door at the top landing

Last edited:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Actually, there is at least one choice that you left out, per the NEC, and that is two light fixtures over the stairs, each controlled by one switch. :)

north star

= ( ) =

The lowest height dimension from any part of the light fixture, is 80".
If you install the j box at 80", ...you will not be compliant !

REASON: Most light fixtures when installed, will have a part of the
fixture that extends lower than the [ MINIMUM ] 80" above the stair
tread directly below it......It is from possible contact with the fixture.

= ( ) =

kwired

Electron manager
The international residential code,

It is not acceptable to just have a fixture at the top landing. If you use the landing principle you also have to have one at the bottom landing. It is commonly said top landing bottom landing or you can have only one light fixture over the section of stairs. So you have two choices of addressing stairway illumination.

This does not apply to exterior stairs or stairs from the basement to the exterior

Edit
I should add that the building department will not except a light fixture at the top landing if a door closing will cut off the light from the stairway as when there is a basement door at the top landing
I don't know that code, but does it require a luminaire at a specific location or does it just require illumination for said landings - there is more then one way to illuminate a landing.

newinspector1

I don't know that code, but does it require a luminaire at a specific location or does it just require illumination for said landings - there is more then one way to illuminate a landing.

2012 NC Residential Code with 2009 International Residential Code

R303.6
All interior and exterior stairways shall be provided with a means to illuminate the stairs, including the landings and treads. Interior stairways shall be provided with an artificial light source has to be located in the immediate vicinity of each landing of the stairway. For interior stairs the artificial light sources shall be capable of illuminating treads and lanings to levels not less than 1 foot candle measured at the center of treads and landings. Exterior stairways shall be provided with an artifial light source located in the immediate vicinity of the top landing of the stairway. Exterior stairways providing access to a basement from the outside grade level shall be provided with an artificial light source located in the immediate vicinity of the bottom landing of the stairway.
Exception:
An artificial light source is not required at the top and bottom landing, provided an artificial light source is located directly over each stairway section.

kwired

Electron manager
2012 NC Residential Code with 2009 International Residential Code

R303.6
All interior and exterior stairways shall be provided with a means to illuminate the stairs, including the landings and treads. Interior stairways shall be provided with an artificial light source has to be located in the immediate vicinity of each landing of the stairway. For interior stairs the artificial light sources shall be capable of illuminating treads and lanings to levels not less than 1 foot candle measured at the center of treads and landings. Exterior stairways shall be provided with an artifial light source located in the immediate vicinity of the top landing of the stairway. Exterior stairways providing access to a basement from the outside grade level shall be provided with an artificial light source located in the immediate vicinity of the bottom landing of the stairway.
Exception:
An artificial light source is not required at the top and bottom landing, provided an artificial light source is located directly over each stairway section.
So does that mean if I had a remote light source but somehow was able to convey it to the area requiring illumination (think fiber optic methods or a light tube) I am in violation even if it is well lit?:(

newinspector1

So does that mean if I had a remote light source but somehow was able to convey it to the area requiring illumination (think fiber optic methods or a light tube) I am in violation even if it is well lit?:(

R303.6.1
Where lighting outlets are installed in interior stairways, there shall be a wall switch at each floor level to control the lighting outlet where the stairway has six or more risers. The illumination of exterior stairways shall be controlled from inside the dwelling unit.

Exception
Lights that are continuously illuminated or automatically controlled.

kwired

Electron manager
R303.6.1
Where lighting outlets are installed in interior stairways, there shall be a wall switch at each floor level to control the lighting outlet where the stairway has six or more risers. The illumination of exterior stairways shall be controlled from inside the dwelling unit.

Exception
Lights that are continuously illuminated or automatically controlled.
I did not ask about control of the illumination.

newinspector1

I did not ask about control of the illumination.

So are you saying that there will be a light capable of illuminating ttreads and landings to levels not less than 1 footcandle. If so it appears that you would meet the intent of the code being that a light source is provided.:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.