Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2020 NEC Code Cycle CMP Reorganization

2020 NEC Code Cycle CMP Reorganization

I thought it might be of interest to update everyone on a reorganization of a couple of Code Making Panels for the next NEC cycle.

The NFPA Standards Council has approved a reorganization of CMP 2, 4, 6, 7, 10 and 19.

CMP 2 will reassign Article 215-Feeders to CMP 10

CMP 4 will reassign Article 225 and 230 to CMP 10

CMP 6 and 7 will be combined and the resulting panel would become CMP 6. It's assignment would be Articles 310, 320, 322, 324, 326, 328, 330, 332, 334, 336, 338, 340, 382, 394, 396, 398, 399, 400, 402, Chapter 9, Tables 5 through 9 and Annex B.

CMP 10 would consist of the following Articles 215, 225, 230, and 240. Articles 215 and 225 both deal with feeders.

CMP 19 would change designation to CMP 7

As a member of CMP 10 I have been asked to reapply as Principal for CMP 10 representing the International Association of Electrical Inspectors.

This realignment of Code Making Panels 2,4, and 10 was done to lessen the burden on CMP 2 and CMP 4 and even out the work load. CMP 4 particularly has been busy with Article 690 and 705.

Chris

Thanks for the info Chris. How does this work out for you, better, worse, or no change?
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Quote Originally Posted by raider1 View Post
    This realignment of Code Making Panels 2,4, and 10 was done to lessen the burden on CMP 2 and CMP 4 and even out the work load. CMP 4 particularly has been busy with Article 690 and 705.

Chris
    Another reason to realign is to "fire" certain panel members without actually saying so.
    "Bob"
    Robert B. Alexander, P.E.
    Answers based on 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted.

Quote Originally Posted by rbalex View Post
    Another reason to realign is to "fire" certain panel members without actually saying so.
    Wow.

That sounds like a form of gerrymandering.

Quote Originally Posted by iwire View Post
    Wow.

That sounds like a form of gerrymandering.
    Well, it often happens when someone points out that an "interest" is over-represented. (More than 1/3 of the TC/CMP)
    "Bob"
    Robert B. Alexander, P.E.
    Answers based on 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted.

Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    Thanks for the info Chris. How does this work out for you, better, worse, or no change?
    With the addition of Articles 215,225 and 230 it will increase the workload of Panel 10 quite a bit.

Being moved to a Principal instead of an Alternate on the panel will mean that I am the voting member for IAEI on Panel 10.

For the 2nd Draft meetings for the 2017 NEC I was a Voting Alternate due to the Principal not being able to attend the meeting due to an illness.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by rbalex View Post
    True,

But I knew that this re-alignment was coming because the workload for CMP 10 was very light during the 2017 code hearings and CMP 4 could not cover all the changes in the allotted time and had to work extra hours to cover. CMP 10 historically had Article 230 and 225 within its scope.

Chris

Whew.......yeah none of the changes being pushed down by TC and NFPA affect the two panels I serve on but the change to Panel 6 and 7 did for our company. One of the people who work for me was on CMP 6 I believe and with the shuffle he will still be on the combined panel but it took a lot of shuffling by the various associations we are on to get it sorted out.
    *All code responses are based on the 2017 National Electrical Code[NEC]

Can folks boil down what all this means?
    What is esoteric knowledge today will be common knowledge tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by mbrooke View Post
    Can folks boil down what all this means?
    Sure....what part are you concerned about. Just some shuffling of panels and reorganization. Combining of a few panels that seems to end their development meetings sooner than others due to lower PI and/or PC loads.
    *All code responses are based on the 2017 National Electrical Code[NEC]