Is this wall oven okay on a 20 amp circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crtemp

I'm looking at this oven and when I'm looking at the specs it says that models rated at 4.8kw and below require a separate 20 amp circuit. When I'm looking at the specs for the oven it says the bake element power is 2800 watts, the broiler element power is 3600 watts, and the convection element is 3400 watts. Can only one of these run at a time? Should I just go off the 3600 watt element since it is the biggest one and assume that this model is rated at below 4.8kw?

http://jennair.com/appliances/details/JJW2430WS/displaymodel/JJW2430WS

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I'm looking at this oven and when I'm looking at the specs it says that models rated at 4.8kw and below require a separate 20 amp circuit. When I'm looking at the specs for the oven it says the bake element power is 2800 watts, the broiler element power is 3600 watts, and the convection element is 3400 watts. Can only one of these run at a time? Should I just go off the 3600 watt element since it is the biggest one and assume that this model is rated at below 4.8kw?

http://jennair.com/appliances/details/JJW2430WS/displaymodel/JJW2430WS
Also says models rated 7.3 to 9kW at 240V require a separate 40A circuit.

I'm fairly certain that more than one element will be energized concurrently.

The instructions also point you to the location of the nameplate. If unit is not on hand, call up customer service.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I disagree. The three elements are used for different switch-selected cooking modes. You may end up at times with more than one of them being hot, but they will never be simultaneously energized.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The installation instructions say this "Use 12 gauge solid copper wire" for a single oven unit. Sounds like for a single oven only a 20 amp circuit may be needed.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I would not run anything less than a 30 amp conductor. 95% of the ovens I install are 30 amp unless it is a dual oven and that is usually 40 amps. Interesting that the instructions go from 20 to 40 amps. I wonder if that nameplate is different

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I disagree. The three elements are used for different switch-selected cooking modes. You may end up at times with more than one of them being hot, but they will never be simultaneously energized.
While that is certainly possible, I have no information to support your conclusion. I am aware of ovens which do energize elements simultaneously. Don't know about this particular model. Regardless, what matters is what the nameplate states... and I could not glean that from web site or instructions.

kwired

Electron manager
I'm looking at this oven and when I'm looking at the specs it says that models rated at 4.8kw and below require a separate 20 amp circuit.
4800 watts is 20 amps. If it is able to run higher then 4800 one needs to question why it is rated @ 4800.

Your components may add up to more then 4800, but controls likely are arranged so that 4800 is the maximum that can run at any given time.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If the instructions say to use #12 conductors how could it require more than 20 amps?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
4800 watts is 20 amps. If it is able to run higher then 4800 one needs to question why it is rated @ 4800.

Your components may add up to more then 4800, but controls likely are arranged so that 4800 is the maximum that can run at any given time.
Given the branch circuit load can be determined under 2201.14(B)/220.55, oven can be rated as high as 4800W ? 80% = 6000W.

kwired

Electron manager
Given the branch circuit load can be determined under 2201.14(B)/220.55, oven can be rated as high as 4800W ? 80% = 6000W.
For feeder and service calculations - not for branch circuit calculations. I was confused a moment but what you are reaally saying is a 6000 W oven could be applied to feeder/service calculations @ 4800. (I think)

OP's oven is still 4800 for branch circuit calculations, but could be included @ 3840 for feeder/service calcs.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
For feeder and service calculations - not for branch circuit calculations. I was confused a moment but what you are reaally saying is a 6000 W oven could be applied to feeder/service calculations @ 4800. (I think)

OP's oven is still 4800 for branch circuit calculations, but could be included @ 3840 for feeder/service calcs.
220.14(B) covers branch circuit load calculation... and it says load can be determine under 220.55. After that, refer to 210.19(A)(3).

JCM4eVer

New User
So assume it is a 3.6kw oven.
3.6kw x .8 = 2.8kw
2800/240=11.6A
So #14 awg at 80% is 12A
#14 ground
15A breaker.
That oven doesn't have any nameplate data on it?

kwired

Electron manager
The oven hasn't been ordered yet so I can't see the nameplate.
My opinion based on the assumption that you are trying to decide what size conductor to rough in, is that if they have not selected the oven yet you better plan for worst case and rough in at least 30 amp conductors, or you can almost count on them deciding to get a larger capacity unit and then you will need to change your conductors at finish time when you find out about the larger sized unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.