Readily Accessible GFCI

Status
Not open for further replies.

czars

Czars
Occupation
Florida Certified Electrical Contractor
210.8 requres a GFCI to be in a readily accessible location. If a GFC receptacle or dead front is mounted under a residential sink so that nothing has to be moved to reset it, is it considered "readily accessible"?

rcarroll

210.8 requres a GFCI to be in a readily accessible location. If a GFC receptacle or dead front is mounted under a residential sink so that nothing has to be moved to reset it, is it considered "readily accessible"?
IMO, yes. When I final out a house, there is nothing under the sink. Ergo, (fun word:)) I have to pass it. I can't fail a job on an assumption.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
After taking a quick look at the article 100 definition of "accessible, readily," my answer is yes.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I would say yes but you never know what an authority having jurisdiction may say. I had thought about writing a proposal to the definition of readily accessible but it was difficult. I personally feel that GFCI should not be in a crawl space but I can see one right at the crawl door. Problem is a home owner will never see it.

We did a service call last week and it took forever to trouble shoot because there were 2 gfci in the crawl space buried under insulation. Wire went to one and was disconnected so we figured it was fed from another. We never found it so we back fed from the one we found and disconnected the other end.

cmreschke

What about behind an access panel on a j-tub?
Behind an appliance on wheels which is fairly easily moved?
At my code update class in michigan one of the Detroit city inspectors said she would allow th?s, but does it truly meet the definition of readily accessible?

iwire

Staff member
To me there is enough ambiguity in the definition that it becomes an AHJ call, none of our own opinions mean a thing.

Just like trying to argue what locations are subject to physical damage.

JDB3

Had a call back to a house that I had wired (been several years ago). Homeowner & builder said that a front outside receptacle did not work. I asked if they checked the GFCI's to see if one was tripped. Answer, yes. So I drive out, receptacle not working, I asked if they checked the GFCI in the garage (legal at time of wiring) to the left of sub-panel. It was blocked by a large tool cart/box on wheels. :lol: How is one going to know what a homeowner is going to do? :? :happyno:

Status
Not open for further replies.