Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adjusting labor rates cold weather

Adjusting labor rates cold weather

This time of year i adjust labor rates from 1-2x due to cold weather and how it slows people/machinery etc down. For ex. If im bidding a 600 amp service upgrade when its 12f outside i multiply labor by 1.3x to give a bid. Does anyone else do this ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Cletis, this isn't Electrician Talk.

why would it take longer when it is cold? people work faster when it is cold so they can get back inside quicker where it is warm. therefore, you should reduce the amount of labor not increase it.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by petersonra View Post
    why would it take longer when it is cold? people work faster when it is cold so they can get back inside quicker where it is warm. therefore, you should reduce the amount of labor not increase it.
    LMAO, that response is as logical as any Cletus question.

Quote Originally Posted by Cletis View Post
    This time of year i adjust labor rates from 1-2x due to cold weather and how it slows people/machinery etc down. For ex. If im bidding a 600 amp service upgrade when its 12f outside i multiply labor by 1.3x to give a bid. Does anyone else do this ?

Makes sense. I'd probably even go 1.5 - 1.75. Around here 12 isn't bad if it isn't windy.

Everyone here is sorta smart and knows things take longer in cold so why not adjust labor to match unless you like losing money. We were doing a typical 200 amp upgrade other day in 6f with ice/snow everywhere. It took way longer due to frostbitten fingers and dropping/searching for 10/32 hub screws etc. im thinking it took twice as long as it would have in summer

I've wondered about this myself, Cletis brings up a valid point. Exterior work does take longer in the cold than it does in the warm months. I have adjusted for it on some bids (I think I went 1.3 times what I would have in the summer) and it has worked out well. I think I have lost a few jobs to other contractors due to it, but the way I look at it, if I can't make my target margins it isn't worth doing. I'll do something else I can hit my margins on instead.

Huntington Beach, CA (19 Hrs. 22 Min. from Winged Horses)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cletis View Post
    Everyone here is sorta smart and knows things take longer in cold so why not adjust labor to match unless you like losing money. We were doing a typical 200 amp upgrade other day in 6f with ice/snow everywhere. It took way longer due to frostbitten fingers and dropping/searching for 10/32 hub screws etc. im thinking it took twice as long as it would have in summer
    that is why we don't do service changes in january.

however, and i speak only for myself, not everyone on the forum,
    i do appreciate you doing them all winter long, so i don't have to.

get back to work, and hurry. i'm referring all my outside work to
    you.
    ~New signature under construction.~
    ~~~~Please excuse the mess.~~~~

What if you bid in June and the work doesn't start until January?

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    What if you bid in June and the work doesn't start until January?
    Then the heatwave weather rates would have applied to the bid, and it's a wash.

Working in 115*+ heat index isnt super fast either. No service changes in January? Gimme that over attic work in August anyday.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!