Question on Double Lug Termination

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
It depends on the lug. If it is listed for use with a combination of conductors the answer is yes however, I doubt it is.

Roger

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Roger many lugs are listed for different sizes like 4 awg thru 4/0 or something like that. If there is a double lug then it could work. Certainly you could not do this under one lug.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Most set-screw lugs accommodate a range of conductor sizes. Good to go if both wire sizes are within that range.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
This one is good for #6-500 kcm
048324.jpg

Michael15956

It depends on the lug. If it is listed for use with a combination of conductors the answer is yes however, I doubt it is.

Roger

OK, I was thinking more on the line of at the termination point the 100amp wire could see more heat from the possibility of 200amp flowing on the 200amp wire.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
OK, I was thinking more on the line of at the termination point the 100amp wire could see more heat from the possibility of 200amp flowing on the 200amp wire.
Depends on how much current is being carried by the wires. In general, the 200A wire should not get any hotter than the 100A wire, and vice versa.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I would see it as more likely that an unloaded 200A wire would carry more heat away from a fully loaded or overloaded 100A wire, reducing the terminal temperature.
The combination of fully loaded 100A and 200A might raise the termination temperature more than either of them alone, but that would still be within the terminal rating if it listed for two wires.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I would see it as more likely that an unloaded 200A wire would carry more heat away from a fully loaded or overloaded 100A wire, reducing the terminal temperature.
The combination of fully loaded 100A and 200A might raise the termination temperature more than either of them alone, but that would still be within the terminal rating if it listed for two wires.

hypress, 90 degrees C.
with 3/8" grade 8 US made allen head cap screws, grade 8 washers, grade 8 nylocks.
42 ft. lbs of torque. no come loose, no get hot.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Roger many lugs are listed for different sizes like 4 awg thru 4/0 or something like that. If there is a double lug then it could work. Certainly you could not do this under one lug.

Dennis, the OP mentions a 200 amp "meter socket" which leads me to think he is talking about a residential meter (I could be wrong) with lay in type lugs and I have not seen those listed for combinations of conductors.

Roger

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Dennis, the OP mentions a 200 amp "meter socket" which leads me to think he is talking about a residential meter (I could be wrong) with lay in type lugs and I have not seen those listed for combinations of conductors.

Roger

With a 320 amp base they come with the lugs I pictured- at least the ones we get-- Millbank I think but you are correct- I have not seen a resi meter with those type lugs. :thumbsup:

Michael15956

Dennis, Roger and all, thanks for the replies. I was more concerned with heat displacement at the termination point on the lug. Example: 200amp flowing at the lug with the 100amp rated wire connected to it.

iwire

Staff member
Dennis, Roger and all, thanks for the replies. I was more concerned with heat displacement at the termination point on the lug. Example: 200amp flowing at the lug with the 100amp rated wire connected to it.

I am confused, you are worrying about a non-issue but you do not car if it is NEC compliant or not? :?

Status
Not open for further replies.