individual conductors in conduit..or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim1971

Can anyone tell me the article # where it says conductors have to be in conduit. A friend of mine is running a new feeder to his garage and he plans on " free airing" the underground triplex 60' when he enters his house. I told him that you cannot do that and he said an electrician he works with said it was ok. Being a journeyman myself im stumped and want to show him this is wrong. But maybe i am wrong. Any input would be appreciated thanks!!

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
110.8 Wiring Methods. Only wiring methods recognized
as suitable are included in this Code. The recognized methods
of wiring shall be permitted to be installed in any type
of building or occupancy, except as otherwise provided in
this Code.

Assuming he is using a listed wire type they need to follow the rules in article 396 for Messenger-Supported Wiring.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
To add to that: if this underground triplex is being run outside, above ground, in 'free air', it has to be marked or otherwise identified as sunlight resistant.

Jim1971

sorry i may have not made myself clear....the installation is underground and when he enters the house he plans on strapping the underground triplex to side of the basement joists to his panel

Smart $

Esteemed Member
sorry i may have not made myself clear....the installation is underground and when he enters the house he plans on strapping the underground triplex to side of the basement joists to his panel
It has to be a recognized wiring method, as Bob (iwire) pointed out.

Quite often people use what is known as URD triplex. Unless it is dual marked as a recognized cable or wire type for interior wiring, it cannot be run on the interior of a structure.

kwired

Electron manager
It has to be a recognized wiring method, as Bob (iwire) pointed out.

Quite often people use what is known as URD triplex. Unless it is dual marked as a recognized cable or wire type for interior wiring, it cannot be run on the interior of a structure.

And when it is dual marked it is generally marked with RHW or RHH as well as USE. USE would be allowed to be directly buried in earth, but other places must be in a raceway. Could have instances where run in free air - but will have clearances that must be met - this would be typical for at a transition from raceway to an overhead open conductor run.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
And when it is dual marked it is generally marked with RHW or RHH as well as USE. USE would be allowed to be directly buried in earth, but other places must be in a raceway. Could have instances where run in free air - but will have clearances that must be met - this would be typical for at a transition from raceway to an overhead open conductor run.

Correct me if I am wrong, but RHW and RHH are single conductor ratings and must be run in a raceway. 338.12 says USE cannot be used for interior wiring.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
And has the friend electrician wannabe considered all the other requirements for this such as EGC with the feeder, a GES at the outbuilding, building disconnect, etc?

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Can anyone tell me the article # where it says conductors have to be in conduit.

I looked and could not find exact wording to that effect, that's pretty much why I said 'correct me if I am wrong' in my other post.

I thought that current carrying conductors had to be in either a raceway or part of a cable assembly in order to be used indoors.

I would like to know the exact section, as well. I hate it when I can't find stuff in the code book.

texie

Occupation
I looked and could not find exact wording to that effect, that's pretty much why I said 'correct me if I am wrong' in my other post.

I thought that current carrying conductors had to be in either a raceway or part of a cable assembly in order to be used indoors.

I would like to know the exact section, as well. I hate it when I can't find stuff in the code book.

300.3(A).

texie

Occupation
To me, it looks like 300.3(B) requires that all conductors of the same circuit must be contained within the same raceway, .....cable...trench....etc. unless specifically allowed by another section.

True, but I'm not sure why you mention it. 300.3(A) prevents one from running open conductors without a Chapter 3 raceway.

kwired

Electron manager
Correct me if I am wrong, but RHW and RHH are single conductor ratings and must be run in a raceway. 338.12 says USE cannot be used for interior wiring.
Correct, but if the conductor has multiple ratings which RHW, RHH, and USE are a common application where all three markings are on one conductor, then it can be direct buried without a raceway per the USE rating, as well as be run anywhere else RHW or RHH would be permitted to be run.

300.3(A) as has been mentioned is the answer to your main question. Exception does point you to 225.6 for outdoor overhead conductor applications.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Triplex that would inply to insulated and one bare messanger wire. Correct?

If so then I would hope that this is only a single 120v circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.