Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: FIRE! Red FPE Breakers please help!

For what its worth Schneider Electric the parent company of Square D continues to make Federal Pioneer Stab-Lok breakers in Canada.
    The UL listing seems to have been performed in the US. The inspectapedia has a page about them having a small recall, however other brands have had this happen too.
    If you set aside concerns about flaws in the panel buss bar design and just need to add an AFCI or GFCI in an old house these breakers are a good option as the breakers basically are made by Square D.
    And as far as I know connecticut-electric / UBI is limited to making the breakers as they where in 1980 where as
    Square D is able to introduce newer technology like AFCI's.
    I imagine its only patent licensing reasons or even just wanting to avoid bad PR that Square D can not sell them in the US.
    I would ask an inspector before using them and give them a copy of the UL listing:
    Link to UL listing
    I am able to obtain these breakers from Canada (any HD) and never had a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by tortuga View Post
    For what its worth Schneider Electric the parent company of Square D continues to make Federal Pioneer Stab-Lok breakers in Canada.
    The UL listing seems to have been performed in the US. The inspectapedia has a page about them having a small recall, however other brands have had this happen too.
    If you set aside concerns about flaws in the panel buss bar design and just need to add an AFCI or GFCI in an old house these breakers are a good option as the breakers basically are made by Square D.
    And as far as I know connecticut-electric / UBI is limited to making the breakers as they where in 1980 where as
    Square D is able to introduce newer technology like AFCI's.
    I imagine its only patent licensing reasons or even just wanting to avoid bad PR that Square D can not sell them in the US.
    I would ask an inspector before using them and give them a copy of the UL listing:
    Link to UL listing
    I am able to obtain these breakers from Canada (any HD) and never had a problem.
    Read the comments on the HD link you provided. Those are not combination type AFCI's (that detect both series and parallel arcing faults).

Do type NBLP panels with Type NB breakers have an unusually high risk of failure as well? I'm trying to evaluate several 70's vintage FPE panels (through photos) and nowhere is "Stab-Lok" visible and none of the breakers have the red/orange color on the end of the handle. All the documentation I've been able to find regarding FPE panel failures seems to be specific to Stab-lok products.

Moving up to larger equipment, does anyone know if 70's vintage FPE switchboards are problematic as well? This facility has a 1600A, 4 section type FDP-BDP switchboard.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by SteamDonkey View Post
    Do type NBLP panels with Type NB breakers have an unusually high risk of failure as well? I'm trying to evaluate several 70's vintage FPE panels (through photos) and nowhere is "Stab-Lok" visible and none of the breakers have the red/orange color on the end of the handle. All the documentation I've been able to find regarding FPE panel failures seems to be specific to Stab-lok products.

Moving up to larger equipment, does anyone know if 70's vintage FPE switchboards are problematic as well? This facility has a 1600A, 4 section type FDP-BDP switchboard.

Thanks.
    IIRC, in another thread on FPE someone had dug around and there were no reports of their switchboards being an issue.