Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Class I Div 2 Grp. B

Good Afternoon, I was hoping to squeeze one more question in if you don't mind.

In the newly classified area I have described our instrumentation group installed round cover
    Class I Div 2 wrong Group. boxes .

Looking at 501.10(B)(4) They could have installed any box, nothing in the box but splice or pull point.
    My concern is on the walk down can it be said that these boxes are not rated for the area because they are the wrong group ?

Thank you. Scott

Quote Originally Posted by scott minter View Post
    Good Afternoon, I was hoping to squeeze one more question in if you don't mind.

In the newly classified area I have described our instrumentation group installed round cover
    Class I Div 2 wrong Group. boxes .

Looking at 501.10(B)(4) They could have installed any box, nothing in the box but splice or pull point.
    My concern is on the walk down can it be said that these boxes are not rated for the area because they are the wrong group ?

Thank you. Scott
    Keeping in mind they weren't required to be identified for Division 1, see Section 500.8(C)(6)(a).

Edit add: This may be a bit convoluted, but hazardous location equipment is not necessarily identified for outdoor locations. That is, an enclosure marked for Class I, is only suitable for indoor installations unless it is also marked as an enclosure type that is also suitable for outdoor installations. See Section and Table 110.28.
    Last edited by rbalex; 01-30-17 at 06:32 PM.
    "Bob"
    Robert B. Alexander, P.E.
    Answers based on 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted.

Thank you .

wow...NASA seeking expertise from the MH Forum...

Thank you for all the help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1wvdA56bks

These are umbilicales we test.

The classification was made early on and now has shifted, the determination is made with the AHJ.

Now electrical equipment I had outside classified areas have fallen inside due to new piping, flowing LH2.

We have plenty of GN2.

The the system we are going to install : Pepperl+Fuchs 1000 series type Z purge system.

I think this would "fix" the panel issues ?

I also have a well maintained, gasketed SS splice/pull box. Also now in class I div 2 grp. b area.

Am I correct that I do not have to do anything with this box if no conduits leaving the box leave the area?

Thank you again. Scott

Could I please come work with you? NASA and space exploration has fascinated me since I was a kid.

SceneryDriver

Right now I need all the help I can get. I am just an onsite contractor for NASA but I love it and it is a very rewarding place to work.

I have another question please I am attaching a photo of a cable grip I would like to use to seal a position sensor.

I have a valve with two position sensors on each side that in the instruction say seal within 18 inches i am wondering if this would count as sealing

or if it means adding a fitting and pouring. OK i could not attach the photo if you type in this part number it takes you to the cable gland

11691122070 Hummel

Thank you again .

Right now I need all the help I can get. I am just an onsite contractor for NASA but I love it and it is a very rewarding place to work.

I have another question please I am attaching a photo of a cable grip I would like to use to seal a position sensor.

I have a valve with two position sensors on each side that in the instruction say seal within 18 inches i am wondering if this would count as sealing

or if it means adding a fitting and pouring. OK i could not attach the photo if you type in this part number it takes you to the cable gland

11691122070 Hummel

Thank you again .
    I can't find the product you're referencing.

This termination may be used as a seal fitting for most cable-types permitted in classified locations. It may also be fitted with a cable grip.

This is not a product endorsement; several manufacturers make similar products.
    "Bob"
    Robert B. Alexander, P.E.
    Answers based on 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted.

Thank you