View Poll Results: Please select all complaints you have received about resident LED work

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dimming - does not dim smoothly across entire range

7 36.84%
  • Dimming - does not turn on at lowest setting

6 31.58%
  • Dimming - shimmer, flicker, and such despite using proper dimmer

10 52.63%
  • Dimming - excess ballast buzz when dimmed

6 31.58%
  • Dimming - color doesn't mimic incandescent closely enough

3 15.79%
  • Buzzing ballast - without dimming

1 5.26%
  • Light color uneven between fixtures

1 5.26%
  • Just don't like the color

6 31.58%
  • something else

4 21.05%
  • NEVER had LED complaints

4 21.05%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Residential LED installs, client concerns

I've always figured it was issues around dimming and the results so far points in that direction and compatibility looks to be the sore spot. So much that Lutron felt it was necessary to withdraw warranty on their dimmers when they're used with a lamp that is not approved by them.

"Warranty on your Lutron 100 W C•L dimmer or 150 W C•L dimmer or 250 W C•L dimmer will be void if
    used with bulbs that are not on this Lutron compatible bulb list. " -Lutron Electronics
    https://www.lutron.com/technicaldocu..._bulb_list.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Electric-Light View Post
    I've always figured it was issues around dimming and the results so far points in that direction and compatibility looks to be the sore spot. So much that Lutron felt it was necessary to withdraw warranty on their dimmers when they're used with a lamp that is not approved by them.

"Warranty on your Lutron 100 W C•L dimmer or 150 W C•L dimmer or 250 W C•L dimmer will be void if
    used with bulbs that are not on this Lutron compatible bulb list. " -Lutron Electronics
    https://www.lutron.com/technicaldocu..._bulb_list.pdf
    What happened to idiot proofing?
    Come on people, do you really expect joe-blow homeowner to really understand this crap. Just like I'm sure every homeowner tests their GFCI's.

It should be the smarty pants to make things work together across the board. And keep in mind what would they expect their grandmother to do, or ask what would Jesus do!

Quote Originally Posted by mopowr steve View Post
    Those of you which marked " didn't like the color " what K temp did you install and did the customer want something that resembles incandescent?

I prefer 2700K for much of my work although I do get a few people that think 4-5 K is brighter.
    Bah-hum-bug. As far as residential goes. Still commercial I like 3500-4000 K
    I have always advocated Spec35 (3500K) linear fluorescents as a good balance between yellow and blue extremes.
    I have not had much luck finding 3500K in LEDs though.

Those of you which marked " didn't like the color " what K temp did you install and did the customer want something that resembles incandescent?

I prefer 2700K for much of my work although I do get a few people that think 4-5 K is brighter.
    All bets are off when you dim them. It does look quite unnatural when you dim down 2700 or 3000K and it just fades down without turning redder.

What happened to idiot proofing?
    Come on people, do you really expect joe-blow homeowner to really understand this crap. Just like I'm sure every homeowner tests their GFCI's.

It should be the smarty pants to make things work together across the board. And keep in mind what would they expect their grandmother to do, or ask what would Jesus do!
    They might be able to idiot proof it but that would also raise the cost, ECs would not buy it .....

I have the same experienced does not shuts off the led light bulb ar all

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I marked color. 2700K-3000K is what we usually go with in residential. Commercial I prefer 4000... maybe it's the wall colors work better with it? 2700 and 3500K in those settings looks pretty hideous.

Never had a single complaint from pindots on countertops from UC LEDs, but I've learned most HOs when they say they want it bright or white do not mean they want their living room lit up like a gas station. Yes, they want a more incandescent type color from LEDs.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

I would say dimmer compatibility is the biggest issue we've had with residential LED lighting.

I've found most homeowners to be highly satisfied with LED's.

Quote Originally Posted by peter d View Post
    I've found most homeowners to be highly satisfied with LED's.
    I agree but, occasionally we have an issue with dimmer switch compatibility.