faceless GFCI devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshields

I've been asked to apply these devices, formerly unknown to me, in a hospital kitchen.

For those of you unfamiliar with the devices these are GFCI receptacles without the receptacles:). i.e. my client would like to use them ahead of some twist lock receptacles in a kitchen to meet the GFCI requirement.

I think it's a great solution. However, someone has pointed out that these are available in commercial grade only and not in hospital grade.

Does this matter? It's not like we're talking about a patient care area. Also, my understanding is that the only difference between a commercial grade receptacle and a hospital grade is in how difficult it is to pull the plug out. This is obviously not an issue here.

Thanks,

Mike

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Since the GFCI is not a receptacle, there is no separate standard for hospital grade.
And AFAIK there is also no hospital grade standard for twist lock receptacles, since ordinary portable equipment will not have a matching plug.
Finally, as you have noted, this use is not in a patient care area, so hospital grade is not required.
In addition to stronger contact retention and generally heavier construction, hospital grade receptacles also offer redundant grounding means. That redundant grounding can be used after a dead-front GFCI just as easily as without it as long as the necessary ground wiring is carried past it.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I believe the "hospital grade receptacles" apply to patient care area.

The kitchen does not qualify as such. However, you can install a HG receptacle in the hospital kitchen, but not required.

Status
Not open for further replies.