Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Underground wire

Quote Originally Posted by hnieves85 View Post
    I sent 277v to a lighting circuit and left the numeral and ecg disconnected and the lights work. 12v from the pole to earth and can't find the splice point how is it working???

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    Where did you disconnect neutral and EGC? At the fixture base of the pole, at the panel?

Do you have multiwire circuit involved here? You could have other lights in series but both across 480 volts if you do have a opened neutral and MWBC.

If there was 480 and the ballast wired for 277 then the ballast would go they are 400 watt metal halide

Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    I'm going to use a wire tracer but wanted to see if anyone could explain how the light is working with no return to the panel

Bootleg neutral or some other alternative path would be what I would look for.

With a MWBC if you loose the neutral the lights could, possibly work through both legs of the 480V. Its possible that the lights don't blow up because even though it's a 480V circuit all the lights would be in series between your two hots. Not an possibility I would consider in this situation.
    Once in a while you get shown the light
    In the strangest of places if you look at it right. Robert Hunter

Time to get out the locator/fault finder. I also wouldn't be energizing just a "hot" with no other wires connected.

This is not a good way. You have to use the wires in a proper way

12v from the pole to earth
    If that's a 400W ballast, the current would be about 1.5A. The 12V you are seeing suggests that the pole base has about 8 ohms of resistance as a grounding electrode that that's the return path for the current, due to a neutral-ground fault (or intentional connection) at the pole. Not a safe situation.