Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: outdoor lighting photocell with timer

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    cyberspace
    Posts
    141

    outdoor lighting photocell with timer

    I have a job where they want parking lot lighting; DUSK to 3AM.
    Any problem putting a timer (indoors) before a photocell ?
    I'm thinking the lights will come on for a few seconds every day when the timer turns on. Then the lights will turn off until dusk, until the photocell triggers.

    Any problems with cycling a photocell so often ?

    Must be a common need, of not wanting to adjust the lighting timer so often.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Hawthorne, NY
    Posts
    2,817
    Put the time clock contacts AFTER the photocontrol in series with the red lead. Set the time clock to come on during daylight and off at 3AM. Photocontrols need to be hot all the time. In operation, photocontrol turns on the lights at dusk (time clock is already on) then the time clock turns them off at 3AM.

    -Hal

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Kennewick
    Posts
    16
    Just get a daylight savings time programmable time clock.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    15,076
    Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    Put the time clock contacts AFTER the photocontrol in series with the red lead. Set the time clock to come on during daylight and off at 3AM. Photocontrols need to be hot all the time. In operation, photocontrol turns on the lights at dusk (time clock is already on) then the time clock turns them off at 3AM.

    -Hal
    Used to do this all the time with the simple time clocks like Intematic T101s.. requires you do separate the time clock power from the contact so the timer runs full time but it works for your application.
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,033
    Quote Originally Posted by spark master View Post
    I have a job where they want parking lot lighting; DUSK to 3AM.
    Any problem putting a timer (indoors) before a photocell ?
    I'm thinking the lights will come on for a few seconds every day when the timer turns on. Then the lights will turn off until dusk, until the photocell triggers.

    Any problems with cycling a photocell so often ?

    Must be a common need, of not wanting to adjust the lighting timer so often.
    It's common. This cut sheet shows a wiring diagram: http://www.nsiindustries.com/UserFil...chanical15.pdf

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,033
    Quote Originally Posted by blkmagik21 View Post
    Just get a daylight savings time programmable time clock.
    It won't know when it is dusk. A photocell is needed.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    cyberspace
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by dkidd View Post
    It's common. This cut sheet shows a wiring diagram: http://www.nsiindustries.com/UserFil...chanical15.pdf
    That timer would be great if it just was a 24 hr timer. Not 7 day. I couldn't seem to find it on the NSI website.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Hawthorne, NY
    Posts
    2,817
    This cut sheet shows a wiring diagram
    That's complete overkill. You want a simple Intermatic #T101 or Tork #1101.

    -Hal

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,033
    Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    That's complete overkill. You want a simple Intermatic #T101 or Tork #1101.

    -Hal
    It is intended as a proof of concept.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    59,832
    Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    That's complete overkill.
    I would say so.

    That clock is selling for $1,200 to $1,500 https://www.google.com/search?q=tork...T920L&tbm=shop

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •