Ignition Protection (UL 1500) in Class I Division 2 location

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebootxl

How does an "Ignition Protected" device (UL 1500) relate to NEC hazardous locations? Can I use an ignition protected device (12VDC/17A macerator pump) in a Class I Division 2 Group D (methane) environment?

My thought is that ignition protection is a form of non-incindive.

Thank you in advance.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum rules. This Forum is intended to assist professional electricians, inspectors, engineers, and other members of the electrical industry in the performance of their job-related tasks. However, if you are not an electrician or an electrical contractor, then we are not permitted to help you perform your own electrical installation work.

If I have misjudged the situation, if for example this project is related to your work, then send me a Private Message. If you can show me that I am wrong, and that you are a licensed electrician (or at least a licensed apprentice), then I will reopen your post, and offer an apology for the delay and inconvenience.

A reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking the
report-40b.png
button at the bottom left corner of the post.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
UL 1500 has no relevance. The UL 1500 Scope is :

Ignition-Protection Test for Marine Products

UL 1500

1 Scope
1.1 This test procedure covers the basic test methods for determining ignition protection and is not to be considered as a test standard that will determine the acceptability of a product or component for use in marine service. The acceptability of a product or component in the intended application is judged in accordance with applicable requirements and tests for that component or product.
1.2 This test procedure does not cover explosion proof or intrinsically safe equipment as required by the U. S. Coast Guard and applied to U. S. Coast Guard inspected vessels or as defined in the National Electrical Code, ANSI/NFPA No. 70.
1.3 Products and components classified as ignition protected are intended to be installed and used in accordance with the applicable requirements to the U. S. Coast Guard, the Fire Protection Standard for Pleasure and Commercial Motor Craft, ANSI/NFPA No. 302, and the American Boat and Yacht Council, Inc.
1.4 This test procedure does not cover ignition protection procedures for products or components that may operate in hydrogen and air mixtures.
1.5 This test procedure does not cover:
a) Mechanisms of ignition from external sources, such as static electricity, lightning, or other factors not related to the apparatus under test;
b) Apparatus based on the use of high voltage electrostatic principles;
c) The deterioration of external wiring; or
d) Connections installed in accordance with applicable installation standards.
1.6 A product that contains features, characteristics, components, materials, or systems new or different from those covered by the requirements in this Standard, and that involves a risk of fire, electric shock, or injury to persons shall be evaluated using the appropriate additional component and end-product requirements as required to maintain the level of safety as originally anticipated by the intent of this Standard. A product whose features, characteristics, components, materials, or systems conflict with specific requirements or provisions of this Standard is not judged to comply with this Standard. Where appropriate, revision of requirements are proposed and adopted in conformance with the methods employed for development, revision, and implementation of this Standard.

A nonincendive device will be specifically labeled.

The pump itself is probably acceptable but its motor is questionable. DC motors are rarely acceptable in classified locations.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
How does an "Ignition Protected" device (UL 1500) relate to NEC hazardous locations? Can I use an ignition protected device (12VDC/17A macerator pump) in a Class I Division 2 Group D (methane) environment?

My thought is that ignition protection is a form of non-incindive.

Thank you in advance.

I think you would have a tough time using it except on a boat.

1 Scope

1.1 This test procedure covers the basic test methods for determining ignition protection and is not to be considered as a test standard that will determine the acceptability of a product or component for use in marine service. The acceptability of a product or component in the intended application is judged in accordance with applicable requirements and tests for that component or product.

1.2 This test procedure does not cover explosion proof or intrinsically safe equipment as required by the U. S. Coast Guard and applied to U. S. Coast Guard inspected vessels or as defined in the National Electrical Code, ANSI/NFPA No. 70.

1.3 Products and components classified as ignition protected are intended to be installed and used in accordance with the applicable requirements to the U. S. Coast Guard, the Fire Protection Standard for Pleasure and Commercial Motor Craft, ANSI/NFPA No. 302, and the American Boat and Yacht Council, Inc.

1.4 This test procedure does not cover ignition protection procedures for products or components that may operate in hydrogen and air mixtures.

1.5 This test procedure does not cover:

a) Mechanisms of ignition from external sources, such as static electricity, lightning, or other factors not related to the apparatus under test;

b) Apparatus based on the use of high voltage electrostatic principles;

c) The deterioration of external wiring; or

d) Connections installed in accordance with applicable installation standards.

1.6 A product that contains features, characteristics, components, materials, or systems new or different from those covered by the requirements in this Standard, and that involves a risk of fire, electric shock, or injury to persons shall be evaluated using the appropriate additional component and end-product requirements as required to maintain the level of safety as originally anticipated by the intent of this Standard. A product whose features, characteristics, components, materials, or systems conflict with specific requirements or provisions of this Standard is not judged to comply with this Standard. Where appropriate, revision of requirements are proposed and adopted in conformance with the methods employed for development, revision, and implementation of this Standard.

the standard for non-incendive equipment is ISA-12.12.01.

rebootxl

Okay, so I understand that UL 1500 has no relevance to NEC. Thank you for clarifying this.

Now, regarding NEC's view of this macerator pump's use in Class 1 Division 2 location. What do you think about this snippet, taken from the 2008 NEC (The very last clause in the paragraph).

501.125 (B) ... In Class I, Division 2 locations, the installation of open or nonexplosionproof enclosed motors, such as squirrel-cage induction motors without brushes, switching mechanisms, or similar arc-producing devices that are not identified for use in a Class I, Division 2 location, shall be permitted.

The NEC then adds constraints with FPN No. 1-3, which seem to communicate the importance of surface temperature, ignition risk, and a pointer to IEEE STD-1349-2001 (Guide for the Application of Electric Motors in Class I Division 2 Hazardous Locations) as general best practice guidelines.

Now my question is IF we can find sufficient design information about the pump, such as whether it incorporates a non-sparking design, and whether it was designed with non-arcing components, then is 501.125 (B) and FPN 1-3 NEC's way of allowing a pump that isn't labeled for use in Class I Division 2, to be used in a Class 1 Division 2 location?

Last edited:

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Now my question is IF we can find sufficient design information about the pump [motor], such as whether it incorporates a non-sparking design, and whether it was designed with non-arcing components, then is 501.125 (B) and FPN 1-3 NEC's way of allowing a pump that isn't labeled for use in Class I Division 2, to be used in a Class 1 Division 2 location?
The direct answer is, "yes"; however, that's a mighty big IF. You'll have to establish the DC motor has no commutator nor other arcing features. It's possible, but not likely.

IEEE Std 1349 won't be of much help (I was one of the original reviewers). Nor will the other Informational Notes.

rebootxl

The direct answer is, "yes"; however, that's a mighty big IF. You'll have to establish the DC motor has no commutator nor other arcing features. It's possible, but not likely.

IEEE Std 1349 won't be of much help (I was one of the original reviewers). Nor will the other Informational Notes.

Ok, so I spoke with the macerator pump manufacturer and the pump motor is a indeed brush design. So it looks like we'll have to mount the pump motor outside the Class I Division 2 hazardous area boundary (in the unclassified area) and pump the liquid (food waste) a slightly longer distance to the holding tank (anaerobic digester). I appreciate everyone's input.

Status
Not open for further replies.