EMT in wet locations

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jonny1982

Is EMT ever permitted in wet locations? Even with rain tight fittings it is just damp locations, correct? Code references too please.

Thank-you

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Are raintight / wet fittings significantly more expensive than "regular"?
The 2" emt RT are about $1.00 more than the compression ones however the 1/2" emt rt are a bit more than double the cost of the compression--.92 as opposed to .41. Not so bad unless you have lots of them

darekelec

NYC has amendment that prohibits emt underground and outdoor wet locations. For rain tight couplings I would have to travel to Pennsylvania. Nobody stocks them here.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I still don't understand the requirement of rain tight fittings when the installed conductor is THHN/THWN.

IMO, there was nothing wrong with the regular compression fittings.

darekelec

Dumb locations.

Dumb locations.

Were would you use the RT EMT fittings, since the amendment that EMT is prohibited? Just asking. :)

I was thinking about damp locations but although Raco catalog says 'dry locations only' most of guys on this forum use set screw connectors in damp locations too.
I don't even work in damp locations.

Attachments

• dry.jpg
    dry.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 4

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I still don't understand the requirement of rain tight fittings when the installed conductor is THHN/THWN.

I agree. I can't see regular compression fittings being any worse than the straight threaded rigid couplings that ARE allowed outside.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation

Compression fittings are not RT and the idea is to inhibit water in the conduit. Why not use set screw connectors for that matter

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Compression fittings are not RT and the idea is to inhibit water in the conduit. Why not use set screw connectors for that matter

I was thinking about that, and I guess regular compression keeps some water out compared to set screw.

Unless the RT compression is 100% water proof, IMO it is waste of money, even though the cost difference is not that much.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I agree. I can't see regular compression fittings being any worse than the straight threaded rigid couplings that ARE allowed outside.
I agree...threaded couplings leak a lot more than standard compression couplings and the code requires that raceways be arranged to drain, so there was no need to make a change in the type of coupling required for wet location EMT.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I agree...threaded couplings leak a lot more than standard compression couplings and the code requires that raceways be arranged to drain, so there was no need to make a change in the type of coupling required for wet location EMT.

I have never seen this done and don't know what equipment I would use.

Anyone have any pictures?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation

This is your opinion not code, correct? Just want to make sure others understand

kwired

Electron manager

I have never seen this done and don't know what equipment I would use.

Anyone have any pictures?
Not so much the equipment you use as it is how you route the raceway. Do not run it so there are low spots for water to accumulate, if you have to have a low spot try to place an enclosure in that low spot and provide weep holes in the bottom of that enclosure. Some will argue drilling weep holes in some items violates listing - and that can be a concern - and especially in some conditions, weep hole in explosion proof enclosure would definitely not be good - but they make drain fittings for such areas, you need an additional hub on the bottom of the enclosure to insttall it in.

This is your opinion not code, correct? Just want to make sure others understand
Yes it is his opinion, I totally agree with him though.

The requirement for the newer "raintight" fittings was stupid IMO. Most RT fittings are a pain to install and sometimes can take 10 times the amount of time to get the raceway into the fitting then the standard compression fittings ever needed, often requiring the installer to completely disassemble the compression nut and sealing gland because the tube will not fully insert into an assembled fitting:(

All that for a raceway system that will still see more moisture inside because of condensation then it may see if you actually used set screw fittings:roll: Maybe those in Arizona and other southwest areas are the exception on the condensation, but most other areas get some water inside on a daily basis because of condensation even if they are having a dry spell when it comes to rain. This is not limited to EMT either it happens in all raceway types, though can be a little more severe in metallic raceways.

Status
Not open for further replies.